HybridZ

LS1 using JTR Kit question

Has anyone been able to use the JTR small block conversion kit to install a LS1 into there Z? I know that the JTR kit is for older (pre ls1) engines, but I see that there are plates available on the internet to install a LS1 into a camaro, nova, etc... that originally came with an older style small block chevy. Has anyone used the combination of the JTR kit and the adapter plate with any success? I really don't want to pay the expense of the John's Cars Kit if I can avoid it.

Not that I've heard of. You can spend the money and try to see or make it work or spend the money on a kit that is known to work. Is buying both kits really that much cheaper than buying the JCI kit? Besides the $430 for the JCI kit, you'll still need to buy everything else, so I guess it's a matter if your time and money to buy both kits to experiment is worth it. With the JTR kit at $275 and the other at $???, what are you really saving?

I wish I knew where I could get the JCI kit for $430. His website says the kit is $695!!! The JTR kit is about $275 and the adapter plates I mentioned are $50. That would be $370 I could put into the rest of the swap if it will work.

I just went to his website. He still sells the parts individually.

$295 for the motor mount set.

http://www.brokenkitty.com/zcar/order-sheet.htm

If you want to "play" with the engine mounts why don't you just buy the C5 engine mounts and biscuits and make your own crossmember. There are several people on this site have made their own crossmember (including me) for their LS1 swaps.

Can you make something like this?

2079260_140_full.jpg

If you can then you just saved a bunch of money on the engine mount kits. BTW with this type of mounts you won't be able to use JTR headers. The driver side fits fine but the passenger side header will hit the mount. So you have to do some searching here. For myself I used the stock C5 headers and modified them to fit. I have done Ls1 swaps using JCI kits and made my own mounts but I never use the JTR mounts and the plates. GL

Vinh

Don't try and use adapters to extend mounts. You would be hooking adapters to adapters then strapping 400+ HP to them.

Vinh's style cross member can be modified to work with the JTR LS headers. You have to remake the starboard side Corvette mounting bracket to move that mount forward 1" then offset the mounting bisquits to match. Also S&P makes a set of mounts that are a 10th the size of the factory vette units.

All in all the JCI kit is the quickest, most sure way to get the vehicle on the road.

Pop,

He already decided to go with JCI.

Zk,

Just make sure you tell JCI which transmission crosmember you want ie 240Z or 280Z. I've heard a lot of people complaint about JCI sending the wrong crossmember and you have to eat the shipping. GL

the jtr is meant for the older 350 series chevs and has no easy comparison to the jci kit which is meant for the ls1 series motors there really is know reason to try use the jtr kit with an ls1 as theres no way a jci kit would work with a 350 series engine

that said the only thing i did use from the my jtr kit was the gearbox cross member on my ls1

In a perfect world, both mounts would be right over the crossmember. The right side mounts to where the A/C compressor used to be and you can't do that on the other side, since that where the alternator is. The starter is the chunk of space that keeps you from being able to build a mount on the right side like the drivers side. At least there is a way to adapt the Gen III motor and someone did the engineering to get it in there as a "bolt in". It works!!