HybridZ

Brake reality

So I have come to a decision ( forced) that I have to replace my whole brake system on the car. It previously sat for 10-15 years and that took a tole on the system. I had on the top of my list the AZC Willwood kit and was going to wait. But since the car is in the shop and is not streetable I have to do something about stopping at will. I have found a bolt up 4 piston caliper conversion for the front and a conversion to the 240sx rear disc. In doing so I am going to have to change out the master cylinder ( which was already shot) ( and under powered). The previous owner put porprtioning valves so at least that will help keep the wheels from locking up. If I change over to the rear disc I am going to have to change the booster as well. I am fine with haveing to do all of this but just did not want to do it so soon. I ahve been told that the kit that I am gonig to use will be just fine with the power that I currently have ( 350-400whp). I know that I will have less rotational mass then the AZC kit so that will help me on the corners.

1.)My question is that I currently have 14" wheels on the car now and want to make sure that this kit will fit without purchaseing new wheels.

2.) I need to know that these will be adiquate enough to hold up in the future with 17" wheels and more power.

My car is in the shop awaiting parts so I am on a time constraint. The two people that I am dealing with are MMS and datsunstore.com. Both stand up places from referances here and in talking with them.

If I change over to the rear disc I am going to have to change the booster as well

I don't know of any reason why is true, as the conversion does not require, recommend, or suggest this (from what I know about this conversion)

Horsepower and wheels size (as just as importantly, the tire size) can be considered in a brake set-up, but your braking needs (driving style and application) should determine the set-up, and not how much HP you have. You can end up with the same tire diameter and using either wheel (a 14" or a 17" wheel). The advantage the 17" wheel offers is a larger diameter rotor for the same size tire diameter. Swapping from one size to the other (I assume for track days, etc) and designing the brakes around the smaller (street?) diameter is quite a compromise in my opinion.

In regards to the 240SX rear disc conversion, I assisted a friend of mine in putting this kit onto his S30 using the old 14" slotted alloy wheels. The OD of the rotor had to be turned down 1/2" (1/4" radius), and the brackets had to be modified (filled and redrilled with some grinding) to get it all to fit under the wheels.

Below is a comparison of the after and before (left and right) of the modifications to make the rear disc conversion work on the 14" wheels, and clear the stick-on lead balancing weights.

standard.jpg

This photo shows the cut-down rotor and the 240SX caliper in the wheel itself. These rotors have enough material for this cut-down to still allow the full face of the pad/rotor to be used.

standard.jpg

I think the brake shop charged $25 to have both rotors turned down, and I spent a couple of hours modifying the MM bracket to work with the new rotor diameter. In this photo, you can see the type of wheel he was using in the background behind the car.

standard.jpg

So you are saying that this is not a bolt up application and I should better spend my money on a different kit. Should I just rebuild the rear brake drums for now and wait on the wheels so that I can put the AZC willwood kit? I will have to wait for over a month to have the money for hte wheels and then there is the time to manufacture then to my custom offsets.

To repair the factory system I got a estimate of 1100.00. I figured that if I was going to have to spend the money then I woud at least upgrade the system a little bit to get me to stop better. I hate to throw away money on the stock system when I know that I am going to go with bigger wheels and more HP in the near future.

To repair the factory system I got a estimate of 1100.00. I figured that if I was going to have to spend the money then I woud at least upgrade the system a little bit to get me to stop better. I hate to throw away money on the stock system when I know that I am going to go with bigger wheels and more HP in the near future.

I think that quote is a little steep... but then agian I have not seen your brakes and what needs to be done to get them back to 100% (stock). The rear brake kit from MMS will fit inside a 15" wheel and I personaly would just get some used 15" wheels and the MMS kit untill the time and money allow for the complete upgrade that you want. I also suspect you could pull this off for less than the $1100 that was estimated above.

As my personal disclaimer I am using the ZRaceProducts kit rather than the MMS kit for the brakes and it fits inside my 15" wheels. I do believe however that both kits have the exact same diameter requirements.

Dragonfy

I think that I will just rebuild the fronts with the 4 pistons up fornt and use a brake porportion valve to adjust the system untill I can get what I really want........I just hope that it will work.

4x4 calipers will not clear stock 14" steel wheels. At least mine didn't anyway. They would have worked with longer studs and spacers, but I didn't like that idea.

i have aftermarket Enkie's on the car. I think I will get a little more clearance on the hoop than the factory steel wheels. I am going to do some horse trading so that I can jkust get the car up and on the road for now and save up the money to DO IT RIGHT. With changeing out the parts together to make sure that I can have the proper brake set up.

I keep wanting to go after the AZC set up on all four corners but I want to make sure that I am not adding unnecessary weigh to the corners. I will go with some custom 17" wheels in the future so I want to make sure that I have a good set up to handle the wheel and tire combo, as well as the HP increase as needed. I want to put down in the mid to upper 400's to the wheels.....

I keep wanting to go after the AZC set up on all four corners but I want to make sure that I am not adding unnecessary weigh to the corners. I will go with some custom 17" wheels in the future so I want to make sure that I have a good set up to handle the wheel and tire combo, as well as the HP increase as needed. I want to put down in the mid to upper 400's to the wheels.....

17's will give you more weight and at a greater leverage than the minimum size wheels which will fit the brakes. I think most 15's clear the 12.2" AZC brake package. It's easier to find tires in 16, 17, and 18 inch sizes, but for your stated goal of not adding more weight than necessary they may not be the best choice.

With well adjusted rear brakes and 4 pistons up front you'll have an adequate brake set-up.

A well proportioned and new stock brake system (with a good pad/shoe compound) could pull the fillings out of your teeth.

It is a well spread misconception that discs "brakes" better than drums.

Drums just don't stand heat as much (and are slower to cool down, which can be a good feature on a street car with agressive pad compound)since they tend to soak it in but, for a car as light as a Z on the streets, the rear drums should be enough.

I've seen race car equipped with stock Z systems (due to rules) that could outbreak way more modern machinery, equipped with top end 4 discs systems.

I am planning on using a LIGHT set of 17's either CCW's or a surprise to come. I don't want to give it away but they confirmed that they will make a custom set. I love the CCW's but the only problem is that I don't like the stepped lip on them. I want something with a flat lip