HybridZ

Intercooler - Thoughts on the one linked inside....

ktm

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FMIC-Turbo-Intercooler-One-Side-24X11X3-V-Mount-RX-7_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33601QQihZ015QQitemZ250150783664

Same side inlet and outlet. Core is positioned correctly and given the long length should do a good job at cooling. Inlet and outlet could be positioned down or up. End tanks look decent.

Thoughts?

My thoughts are, its worth the asking price, but I fail to see the inlet/ outlet being on the same side.. :confused:

Also, the long runner lengths is not what makes for a good I/C, its the short/ lots of thats works better. Ever see the Corkey Bell I/C for the S30 Z car? Thats the most efficient I/C core.

I would use the core in that auction. Just have to make sure to get the pipes right...

Take the intercooler and rotate it 90 degrees and you will see how the inlet/outlet are on the same side. Most cross-flow I/Cs have the plate and bars running parallel to the inlet and outlet. The same side I/Cs have the cores running perpendicular to the inlet and outlet.

Like I said, if you rotate this one 90 degrees you can see that the inlet and outlet are on the same side.

J. Soileau, I've got Corky's book and have referenced it extensively. I am still looking at the same side intercooler similar to 240Hoke's (was going to buy his but I need more of a custom fit). I like the layout of this one with the inlets and outlets either facing up or down.

Take the intercooler and rotate it 90 degrees and you will see how the inlet/outlet are on the same side. Most cross-flow I/Cs have the plate and bars running parallel to the inlet and outlet. The same side I/Cs have the cores running perpendicular to the inlet and outlet.

Like I said, if you rotate this one 90 degrees you can see that the inlet and outlet are on the same side.

you realize if you did that the IC will be 30" tall. Im not sure you would want it dragging the ground infront of your car. or sticking 10" above the hole you would have to put in your hood. If you are looking for one thats inlet and outlet are on the same side , the one sweatloaf posted looks pretty nice.

This one is exactly what I was refering to.... You want lots of short tubes like that one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=015&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=250146606811&rd=1

not trying to threadjack this or anything but wouldn't this be a better choice for a same sided inlet and outlet IC? 2.5 diameter opennings, lots of short tubes for better internal flow and only $170 shipped. i even asked the guy about mounting and he said that the pic is old and that they have 2 bolt holes on each side for mounting. i've thought about it, you guys think it would be big enough for a T3 setup? the core is only 6 inches tall? probably gonna go with one like Gabe has because i want my air filter to get cold air and 3 tubes coming out on one side of the radiator might be a bit crowded , lol

I was looking at that exact same IC. The core height is irrelevant, its the core thickness and the core width that matter. That particular core has 60 sq. in. of charge air surface (3 in. thickness x 20 in. long). That is MORE than enough for a T3.

Wigen, J. Soileau, the reason I was looking at the IC with the inlet/outlets pointing up/down was because I wanted them to either point up or down at the time. The IC steve linked, as well as sweetleaf, has the inlet/outlet on the driver/passenger side. I did not want the inlet/outlet both exiting on the driver/passenger side. I wanted them either pointing to the ground or the hood.

However, I went a completely different route and bought a typical IC with the inlet and outlet on opposite sides. I am running a very stealth setup and will not need to modify my front valence whatsoever. Also, I am running the inlet piping UNDER my engine.

Thanks for all the input.

• 2 weeks later...
I was looking at that exact same IC. The core height is irrelevant, its the core thickness and the core width that matter. That particular core has 60 sq. in. of charge air surface (3 in. thickness x 20 in. long). That is MORE than enough for a T3.

Wigen, J. Soileau, the reason I was looking at the IC with the inlet/outlets pointing up/down was because I wanted them to either point up or down at the time. The IC steve linked, as well as sweetleaf, has the inlet/outlet on the driver/passenger side. I did not want the inlet/outlet both exiting on the driver/passenger side. I wanted them either pointing to the ground or the hood.

However, I went a completely different route and bought a typical IC with the inlet and outlet on opposite sides. I am running a very stealth setup and will not need to modify my front valence whatsoever. Also, I am running the inlet piping UNDER my engine.

Thanks for all the input.

Good deal KTM.. share some pics when you get it mocked up..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FMIC-TURBO-31x12x3-INTERCOOLER-SUBARU-IMPREZA-WRX-STI_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33742QQihZ015QQitemZ250157520714QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

i was thinking of this intercooler, but both this and the ones listed are all 3 inch inlet and outlet. will it make a noticable difference if i go from 2.5 inch piping to 3 inch inlet amd outlet?

sorry i didnt want to make a new post thread for this question.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FMIC-TURBO-31x12x3-INTERCOOLER-SUBARU-IMPREZA-WRX-STI_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33742QQihZ015QQitemZ250157520714QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

i was thinking of this intercooler, but both this and the ones listed are all 3 inch inlet and outlet. will it make a noticable difference if i go from 2.5 inch piping to 3 inch inlet amd outlet?

sorry i didnt want to make a new post thread for this question.

It shouldn't matter much as long as the transition isn't too abrupt. I think the ideal is no more than 20 degrees taper.

There are silicone elbow reducers that have a gradual taper that would work great if you plan to use the holes in the radiator support.

cant i stuff two 2.5 inch pipes and my intake through the passanger side core support area. ive seen it done but idk if it takes away from the stiffness on that side b/c i know i will need to cut some metal away

You must mean driver side core support...but for that you'd need an IC with inlet and outlet on the same side, right? The one you show has them on different sides.

First, figure out the best way to route the IC plumbing then choose the IC conifiguration based on that and the turbo size. Also, you're not looking hard enough because there are cheap ebay IC's with 2.5" inlet / outlet.

There are a million different ways you can route the IC and you can be creative and not have to cut any metal at all if you want by using stock holes or going under the engine or frame. If you do a search you'll see the different ways of how the members have done theirs...

Have you read Corky Bell's how-to turbo book yet? It will answer 99% of your questions and is a must-read if you plan on being serious about upgrading your turbo system.

Hope this helped...