HybridZ

Somewhat new to the Z...

swbooking

Im pretty new to the Z world but not to working on cars, Ive built a pretty bad ass 13B FC, and a couple rock crawler Jeeps. So im not new to fabing or wrenching, but im stuck on what to do with my 71 240Z.

Im looking for some advice, heres my situation:

I have my Z stripped to a rolling shell, Im going to sand blast it and do the body work on it (someone backed into it while it was sitting before i bought it). When i bought it the guy was gonna rebuild the motor but didnt have time to, so I have the L24 block freshly milled, new pistons, all the seals, bearings etc, and the head (P30) was just rebuilt by a shop about 2 months ago so thats also ready to go... I have everything to put the L24 in easily but im not the kinda guy that does things cause its easy. I know i can push a good amount of HP for a DD if i just go with what i have, but since im at the point where i can build it once from the ground up, why not do it right the first time? Ive been considering a couple options so i guess what i need help on is deciding. This car will be a DD and occasional track car so should I:

1) Stick with what I have, do the normal mods (intake, straight pipe, headers, etc...)

2) Go to an L28 turbo motor

3) Do an RB25

4) One of my favs cause im a rotor head but most expensive, Do a 20B 3 Rotor

Thanks, and any advice is much appreciated.

-Allen

Id say rb25 if you got the money...Im in the same dilemma when i comes to choosing a powerplant..since i dont have the money for a rb swap right now im just going to rebuild my l28 and do some head work with a decent cam and throw some tripples on it..I think that will hold me over for a while...All in all the rb would make a great DD/track engine if swapped right..Sorry if this isn't much help

if you want a rotary why does it have to be a 20b why not a 13b? just brings up the reliability issue of running a rotary though, would be rather humerous to see one in there though as the size of thr engine bay and the motor you could probably have 2 guys standing in your engine bay to work on it. i guess if you want the best out of it you might want to install the 280zx 80l fuel tank too haha

if you want a rotary why does it have to be a 20b why not a 13b? just brings up the reliability issue of running a rotary though, would be rather humerous to see one in there though as the size of thr engine bay and the motor you could probably have 2 guys standing in your engine bay to work on it. i guess if you want the best out of it you might want to install the 280zx 80l fuel tank too haha

Ive already built a 13B RX-7 and the potential with a 20B is way more then with a 13B. Plus its much more unique, the size wouldnt be too bad cause its a 3 rotor so its not SO tiny but yeah it is relatively small. Meh, our 13B 7 gets about 21mpg when were nice to it but can still dump when were spakin people...

P.S. Rotarys are VERY reliable if you know what your doing... So reliability will not be a factor.

I got as far as 20B 3.... and my eyes started blinking rapidly, and eventually twitching.

3 rotor oompah!! I say thats the ticket right there. would that be a major investment for you to do? the mere fact that you even bring it up suggests that it may be more in the realm of possibility for you than many...?

yeah like i said i could do it but it will just take me some time. Im pretty good with rotarys but the problem with cosmos is almost 99% of ones that are brought over are blown, so not only do you have to pay the 3G for the motor but then you have to break it open and drop another $1000 to rebuild it. It would be awsome though... Im still looking at all the options, so none of what i listed is out of the question yet.

no offense but, id never do an SR. IMO that motor is crap... you can make an NA KA24 better then an SR20det. I have a buddy that put 11G into his 240sx (redtop) and our 5K 13BT smokes that thing no contest...

SR is a pretty popular motor to swap around here. I'm not going to put one in my Z, but I wouldn't put a 13B in my car either. The point is that as far as we're concerned, hp is hp and if it makes hp then its good. We have guys putting out pretty good hp numbers on SRs and they're likely to take offense to you calling it a crap motor, even if you preface your comment with "no offense but"...

So argue the merits of one motor or another if you will, but please don't call x motor crap without backing yourself up. One guy who wastes 11 grand does not a bad motor make.

My own vote is for the 20B. That would be a kick ass engine for a Z and would still be nearly mid engine. Check Auxilary's "So you want to put a rotary in your Z?" post. He's still not done, but he's gone through a lot of the BS required to get there.

SR is a pretty popular motor to swap around here. I'm not going to put one in my Z, but I wouldn't put a 13B in my car either. The point is that as far as we're concerned, hp is hp and if it makes hp then its good. We have guys putting out pretty good hp numbers on SRs and they're likely to take offense to you calling it a crap motor, even if you preface your comment with "no offense but"...

So argue the merits of one motor or another if you will, but please don't call x motor crap without backing yourself up. One guy who wastes 11 grand does not a bad motor make.

My own vote is for the 20B. That would be a kick ass engine for a Z and would still be nearly mid engine. Check Auxilary's "So you want to put a rotary in your Z?" post. He's still not done, but he's gone through a lot of the BS required to get there.

Point taken... seems to be that the 20B is the majority vote, im gonna see what my supplier can do for me $$ wise on that beast. Now, got 14K reving NA with ITBs and the works or Mastercraft t70.... hmmm...