HybridZ

most common bolt sizes

lammbn

I am finnaly getting ready to dig into my car for a ground up rebuild since i finnaly got my own garage to work in now. I want to replace any bolt that looks if'y, which is most of them, but around where i live it seems that nobody has a decent selection of metric nuts and bolts so i have been looking into pre-selected assortments but now found that i can get a great deal through the hardware supplier for my work. He will make me a custom assortment of stainless steel metric everything all organized into a few of those nice pull-out drawers with all the bins. i need to tell him what range of diameters and lengths i want and what range within that i want him to focus on stocking me up the most with. since i obviously havent seen many of the bolts out of their holes i have no clue as to what that might be. so if anybody could tell me what ranges would be best to have on hand for both an L6 engine and the '78 body i would really appreciate it. pitch would also be nice, unless there are more than one present for any given diameter.

like most older shops IVE got several 5 gallon bolt buckets of random spare bolts,it helps a great deal, and a salvage yard trip can gather several hands full for nearly zip, if you take tools and an afternoon to get a good sellection,

its nearly hopeless, simply because you could have a spare for every bolt in your car and youll either not be able to find it when you need it or youll have used it elseware yesterday....resign your self to having several 5 gallon buckets of spare bolts in the shop and still need to ocasionally run to the local NAPA store,KEEP A SPIRAL NOTE BOOK AND PEN HANDY, TOO WRITE DOWN EXACTLY WHAT YOU NEED SO YOU WILL GET EVERYTHING WHEN YOU GO TO GET PARTS,being on a first name basis at the local commercial BOLT supply house and being on a first name basis with the ARP guys,is mandatory when your doing this full time!. BTW if you make the trip to the local bolt/napa /hardware store and buy the bolts you need , buy a few extras and throw those in the 5 gallon shop bolt bucket, it makes you feel better because now you know the next time you need those bolts you have them on hand....not that youll be able to locate them you understand but having several 5 gallon buckets of bolts to look thru before making the trip to the bolt supply, gives you time to think, write down exactly what you need and and maybe avoid making two trips

btw, yes youll need a tap/die set

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&pid=00952386000&cat=Hand+Tools,+General+Purpose&subcat=Bolt-Out,+Taps+%26+Dies&vertical=TOOL&ihtoken=1

http://www.nationaltoolwarehouse.com/xq/asp/prodid.164/TID./qx/product.htm

AHN-26377.jpg

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=2796

thanks guys, but i guess what i am looking to do is replace any old bolts with brand new bolts. as many of them as i can. i have a great deal on this assortment just thrown into my lap that i am afraid won't stand for long. as far as making trips to the bolt store, the nearest place with a decent selection is a 35min drive away, to me thats a lot of wasted gas and time. also on the plus side this bolt selection will be very nicely organized, so again no digging through buckets of rusty bolts, which also equals not stainless quality bolts. but i really appreciate your guys help. if you have a few of those bolts in you bucket that you seem to be digging for a lot, next time you think about it will you send me the diameter, length(s), and pitch?

bolts don,t tend to rust if you pour a pint of diesel fuel into the bucket and place an air tight lid on the buckets, yeah that means you pour the bucket out into a large metal pan and place them back then pour back the diesel over the bolts each time but that tends to prevent rust and keep them cleaner, and the wash tub can be used to collect oil drain oil temp, as its far larger and deeper than the plastic ones auto stores sell

http://www.amazon.com/Dover-Parkersburg-5-6GAL-HOTDIP-OVAL-WASHTUB/dp/B00002N5XX/ref=pd_bbs_5/103-3486570-0918205?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1186583054&sr=8-5

There is a huge amount of different bolt's on the car. Too many to just list for you. A lot of them also have special collars etc. The length's also vary greatly. Yes most range from 6m-14m at 1.25-1.75 pitch but you will need a huge selection if you are just going to get a random assortment . I was going to do the same and started measuring them out with a thread gauge and calipers but after I got past like 60 some different ones I gave up lol. I bought the stainless sets from the ebay seller and have to say I'm very pleased with the quality.

You're just going to have to come up with that list yourself. If I or someone else ever takes the time to come up with a comprehensive fastener list for the 240Z (which year, what options), the list by itself would be worth a couple hundred bucks.

When I've tackled a project on one of the Z's, such as replacing suspension parts and bushings, replacing all the coolant and fuel hoses, etc. I put all the worn and corroded fasteners in a bag and drive to all the auto parts and hardware stores. Most of the time I'll be able to come up with replacements. Some won't be exact but will work (in some cases a large head bolt might be an okay replacement for flange head, etc.).

Most auto parts stores carry a metric bolt assortment in a plastic box that is reasonably priced. These are usually 8.8 grade and only come in coarse thread, but they'll do in a pinch.

Whenever I visit the PickNPull, I throw every fastener and hose clamp I remove in my tool box. They might charge for chrome lug nuts.

I like to clean small parts in mineral spirits mixed with ATF (auto transmission fluid). I let them soak for a long time, sometimes weeks, then wipe them down a little and put them in storage boxes with the little drawers. I've also got a 10 gallon parts cleaner filled with Zep degreaser for cleaning larger parts. A bench grinder with a brass wheel makes cleaning threads easy.

Rambling over.

Your local AutoZone may sell Berryman's Parts Cleaner (1 gallon bucket), if it's legal in your state. It's pretty harsh stuff but cleans everything off metal. Unfortunately it also strips the cad/zinc coating off if left in long enough, so you should recoat your parts afterwards if you fear rust.

- Greg -

Ok, thanks guys. i guess i will just try to focus on the mid-range of sizes for the bolts. i understand that it would be very difficult and time consuming to come up with a comprehensive list of all the bolts in the car. i guess i was just asking those of you that have had a lot more experience than me with re-building these cars for a few sizes that you seemed to be digging into your bolt buckets for more often than others. don't get me wrong, i don't expect to never have to make a trip to the bolt store for odd sized/shaped bolts, or ones that i don't have on hand. i am just trying to get a good stock so that i can minimize those trips since it is so far away to a decent selection and i don't have any significant supply of old bolts in my new shop. i'm still kinda young to have been able to built up a good supply, i have maybe a half of a coffe can full. I didn't mean to ask for so much, sorry it came off that way. thanks again for your help guys! I will let you know if i come up with a good list of some sizes i find handy to keep on stock or the ones i run out of the fastest.

i have maybe a half of a coffe can full.

Funny, I just finally decided to formalize the clutter in the bottom of my toolbox into a coffee can, myself...

Theres nothing like a bolt bucket, BUT you would be surprised how easy it is to acquire several of the odder bolts simply by finding the right cars in the junkyard.

As for obtaining a collection beforehand, that is ALWAYS a wise idea and it is at least a hair better (possibly somewhat more) than using JY bolts.. but don't go too crazy, and plan on restocking certain sizes. Nuts and washers are more valuable to purchase this way than bolts, but a limited supply is worthwhile.

someone mentioned above,

Yes most range from 6m-14m at 1.25-1.75 pitch
so grab a couple dozen bolts of varying length, I would concentrate on 8, 10m and 12 mm although the smaller ones do seem to go quicker once you find a place that needs them. Retaining clips, the slide onto a hole in sheetmetal and screw a machine screw into, are also a wise investment.

If you can get a nice drawer setup with a stock of bolts, nuts, washers and lockwashers, then by all means go for it; speaking from experience it feels good each and every single time you reach in there and grab what you need. I reach for the buckets as often as the drawers, when I have access to my uncle's stuff :rolleyesg but each situation calls for one or the other.