HybridZ

Balancer shoot-out...

Careless

Can you give a link to VPW or wherever you are planning to purchase your balancer?

I would like to pick one up, although would still prefer a 1 rib unit, but those seem non existent.

The ATi while a very nice looking unit, is a bit too spendy at the moment.

Also does anyone have a good source or part # for a new crank pulley bolt? Mine has a few buggered threads.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can get you the part number for the crank pulley bolt, as well as ship out the one i bought.

I bought 2 RB25 ones and 1 RB26 one, because I had a feeling the RB25 one was correct, and wanted an extra, but got the 26 incase.

the RB25 matches the thread and size of the RB30, but I might be able to use the RB26 cause the 25 one is sloppy and wobbly (just like the stock one. LOL)

so i can get you a part number as well as ship mine out to you.

You can message Paul Broomfield: office5[at]vpw.com.au

tell him Raffaele told you about the balancer =) alternatively, you can go to google and search Rollmaster for their website.

if the ATi is too much, try out the Ross Machine or the Fluidampr if they have one yet.

it should be 200 bucks less than ATi, and it's a quality brand. So is romac but I know of no one who's used one on an RB yet.

The cheapest price I have found the race version of the ATI was at Summit for $486, which isn't so bad but I would not mind other options.

I sent ROSS Tuffbond an email inquiring about cost and shipping to the states for their R33 dampener.

Sending you a PM about the bolt :)

The ROSS Tuffbond Metal Jacket for a R33 RB26 is approx $540 USD, freight would take about 5 days according to them and cost is dependent on where it is going.

I would guess their other RB dampers are a similar price.

They are out of the R33 and R32 dampers for the next 3 weeks or so.

The unit looks very nice from their website.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Fellas.

So on the topic of Harmonic Balancers... it seems that ATi is the damper of choice.

18.1 SFI spec, good for 600 or 800+ horsepower. yadayada.

But, what about the Ross, or the Romac Balancers? I've been reading some forums and seeing that a lot of Mustang Cobra owners are switching to Romac Balancers and swearing by them. Did I mention they're a lot cheaper and it's quite possible that the RB versions may be available locally as well?

ALL Romac balancers are also 18.1 SFI spec, too. Just like the ATi dampers.

http://www.romac.com.au/

They're way cheaper too. Romac RB30 balancers can be had for 289 AUD. Perhaps even cheaper here, with conversion rates.

What say you, fine gents?

It's been awhile since you started this thread and I was wondering if you ended up picking up a Romac balancer and are you happy with it. You're putting it on an RB30, so it should fit an RB26? I couldn't find a listing for any RB motors on the Romac site.

Yeah I got the balancer. I'm trying to find time to go to my parent's house to take pictures of it in my white-box, so that I can post it here.

Looks pretty nice.

Not really anodized red, as described on the website ... more of a burgundy/purple type colour(check the new products PDF, it has a picture of a holden 6 balancer, but it's for the new holden engines... but it does make mention of the RB30, I think)

It has provisions for additional (power steering) pulley to be put onto the front using the stock pulley holes, and it looks very nice.

I'll see what I can do! Engine won't be put together for a while, still waiting on the head.

• 1 month later...

Thought I'd update with some small pics (large pics are going to be on my website when I cross that bridge)

img_0050363.jpg

img_0051820.jpg

img_0057178.jpg

img_0058799.jpg

all the pics I'll be putting on my website will be of similar quality, only way larger. all the pics of each and every bolt going on the RB (took all the shots already, but you'll have to wait... tee hee) before it goes into the engine bay, and hopefully after if it's easy to do so.

but I got to get a DSLR first, this point-and-shoot I'm borrowing is making it difficult to get pics this clear :(

About the unit itself. It comes well packaged in a nice box. Good for storing it while it's not installed. Not a cheaply made balancer by any means. Probably not as well constructed as ATi, but I've never seen one in person. Steel Inner, Alloy Outer (SA0330)

SFI 18.1 compliant.

DOES NOT HAVE timing marks ALL THE WAY around the unit, as said on their website "all" Romac Balancers have timing marks around the entire perimeter of the unit

FALSE- clearly indicated on these tiny pictures, even

Still pretty happy that I got main studs and a balancer at 80% of the price of an ATI or Ross.

• 4 weeks later...
ATI has 2 dampers listed for the RB26 R33 engine a street unit and a race unit is it worth paying the extra for the race unit ?.

600hp . 1000hp.

do you see yourself spending money quick enough, or keeping the car long enough to the point of getting close to 1000hp?

I think it's not a pricing issue, I think its an actual technical issue of sorts regarding the balancing/forces by having roughly 40% more hp...., and I would get the 600hp, and sell it when I need the 1000hp. By that time you will probably have taken the engine apart a couple of times so you could just re balance everything with the new 1000hp damper before you put it back in.

But there are a number of ppl on here, nico, and many other rb boards that go for the 1000hp one without problem... but who knows until they inspect everything really?

• 1 month later...
600hp . 1000hp.

do you see yourself spending money quick enough, or keeping the car long enough to the point of getting close to 1000hp?

I think it's not a pricing issue, I think its an actual technical issue of sorts regarding the balancing/forces by having roughly 40% more hp...., and I would get the 600hp, and sell it when I need the 1000hp. By that time you will probably have taken the engine apart a couple of times so you could just re balance everything with the new 1000hp damper before you put it back in.

But there are a number of ppl on here, nico, and many other rb boards that go for the 1000hp one without problem... but who knows until they inspect everything really?

My street ADI damper has arrived from USA and have noticed in the paperwork you dont balance the damper with the crank/bottom end it is fitted to the engine after you built it (if you go that far) and the first time you run your engine with it on after 2000 RPM it balances itself.

And it also looks a great well made part.

also, going on this balancing thing...

Some would say that balancing the entire assembly is ideal. Balancing the harmonic balancer and the rotating assembly as well as the clutch cover and whatnot. But the RB is internally balanced.

This brings up the question of whether not it's a good thing to do when balancing. Should we balance with these things on the ends, or will it even out? Is it a precaution that we should take when rebuilding for extra help in defeating i6's inherent harmonics?

=/

Ross Tuffbond for RB engines = 579 AUD from justjap.

add shipping to that 4 lbs, and it's probably somewhere around 580 USD.

Seeing as many race engine builders are using ATI, i'd put my money towards ATi if I were to buy a balancer for 600 bucks.

Then again, the fastest VN/VL RB30 is on Ross' site. :-/

I dunno, the RB26 unit itself doesn't look so bad. If yours isn't in bad condition I would just use that... I'm willing to bet there are a lot better parts that one could look towards, but if you're going the whole nine yards ....

interesting. it's good that you pointed it out. how much did it cost you?

Street ATI Damper & set of RB26DETT ARP head bolts delivered to UK $800.00 USD as the cost of the ATI Damper over here is $1200 USD from a ATI UK agent on is own without the head bolts.

I dunno, the RB26 unit itself doesn't look so bad. If yours isn't in bad condition I would just use that... I'm willing to bet there are a lot better parts that one could look towards, but if you're going the whole nine yards ....

Haha! Believe me, that's exactly what I said. Balancer would be last on the list, but...

My eccentric dad recommended putting an ungodly fan in that would require too much room, so his solution was to have the a/c pulley machined off and I literally said, "What about balance issues? I don't think that we can machine off very much because it looks structural, and if you machine off too much it will probably come apart." So he says, "Naw, it will probably still be balanced fine, and I'm sure that outer pulley will machine right off." So I says, "I really don't want to risk it" to which he replies, "Fine, we'll leave it on. We're just going to have to work around it." The NEXT day, he goes "Yeah, I took the damper off. We really need more room, so I think we should have a friend of mine machine it off." And I reluctantly said, "Fine" as I hate to argue because I kinda need him for a bunch of things and I have to keep him happy.

The next day we're in the garage installing fuel lines. He gets a call from his buddy. "Bad news, I machined off the outer pulley but the whole thing came apart and is now in three pieces."

The end.

ANYWAY, I'm still not finding very much. I'm going to call ATI tomorrow and perhaps talk to Romac, but so far even though you said some of them are cheaper than ATI it seems that is going to be the lowest price out of the other major brands. Unless that has something to do with you being in Canada... By the way, are all these guys from Australia or what? I'm trying to find something local to compete with Ati, but the rollmaster and ross tuffbond sites I'm seeing are way over there. Anyway, it's hard to tell from the little pictures, but it looks like on the ross version that a/c pulley doesn't come off, anyone know? And is your romac only one belt? That would be pretty nice if its even thinner as I'm obviously never going p/s. Although, if I some day go a/c it might be a little interesting. Some day...