HybridZ

Balancer shoot-out...

Careless

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just ordered the high hp ATI from Summit Racing http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=ATI%2D917752&N=700+115&autoview=sku for $489 plus shipping ( which has got to be cheaper than Australia to Canada) plus it comes with the larger water pump pulley. Almost have all my parts together, motor is being built and the fuel cell/surge tank is almost complete.

Anyone know which one goes on an RB30?

Or do they make one for the RB30 separately, as the R32 and R33 are even different part numbers (probably has to do with the crank snout).

I think you will find it is not the crank snout but the acc pulley on the front has a different offset. I am lead to believe that the R32 has the different offset for the 3rd pulley but R33/R34 are the same. I see that Ross has different part numbers for RB20, RB25, RB26 (R32), RB26 (R33), RB26 (R34) and the RB30. If I am going to get one I am thinking I will get the Ross unit for the following reasons.

1. Well made product

2. Locally made (well sort of just over the Tasman sea)

3. They have a listing for the RB30

4. The front (3rd) pulley is a bolt on and I don't want or need it

• 7 years later...

Know this is an old thread but posting updated info

The GTR-Z is back on the front burner and I was trying to lighten the stock balancer by cutting off the front P/S pulley. I succeeded in cutting off the pulley but right at the end of the cut it started acting funny on the lathe and the center mount part came loose from the main part of the balancer. Apparently the way it's built the front pulley connects the main body to the mount bore so the pulley is now scrap metal. So shopping for a new balancer

Stock R32 rb26 balancer.    13 lbs, 10 oz.

Avg Ebay price $300

Unless it's a newly manufactured part the rubber ring that connects the hub to the outer ring is about 25 years old. This rubber will deteriorate and the balancer will separate. Have had this happen on a '75 280Z.

Stock balancers can also be rebuilt with a new rubber ring. It's a specialty service and one guy that does it is located in Oregon.  http://www.hbrepair.com/ He charges $115 plus shipping. 

Fluidamper    11 lbs.

best Ebay price $365

R32 610901

R33/34 610911

the only difference is a small amount of offset to the pulleys

This is a really nice steel balancer that uses liquid as the balancing medium thus it never needs rebuilding and it self adjusts to the engine build/tune.

The outer P/S pulley is removable.

ATI Super Damper   7 lbs.

best Ebay price $400

An aluminum and steel damper. Uses a set of o-rings to dampen. Is rebuildable and can be tuned with different o-rings.

Believe the outer P/S pulley is removable but have not confirmed.

there's other balancers available (USA) but the prices are higher

Edited by Chris Duncan

ATI Super Damper   7 lbs.

best Ebay price $400

An aluminum and steel damper. Uses a set of o-rings to dampen. Is rebuildable and can be tuned with different o-rings.

Believe the outer P/S pulley is removable but have not confirmed.

ATI Super Damper just arrived. The P/S pulley is removable and it weighs 5 lbs. 7 oz. without it. So 8 lbs. 3 oz. of weight off the front of the car and off the rotating weight.