HybridZ

Individual Slide Throttle project

zero

So, I am a rising junior Mechanical Engineer at Princeton, and it's about time for me to start thinking about my junior/senior project. I had been tossing a few ideas around in my head, but one that jumped out at me was designing and building an individual slide throttle intake and manifold from scratch.

I would probably megasquirt it and may use another interesting idea for FI. Basically I was wondering if you guys thought this would be a worthwhile project, and whether you had any input or insight on issues I might run into.

I have heard that slide throttles can be hard modulate, so I was thinking of using an eccentric linkage or possibly an electronic throttle so partial throttle would be easier to control.

one other project idea that I was thinking of were building an FI system that based its calculations not only on air pressure or flow, and o2 in the exhaust, but used fast acting, laser-based, oxygen sensors to measure the oxygen concentration on the INTAKE side just before every injector event, hopefully increasing power and effeciency. Because o2 concentration can vary quite a bit, i think there is some room for improvement

The other idea was to build and race a lithium battery powered, 240sx based electric car and compete in popular motorsports events with it to get media coverage and therefore funding.

I look forward to your input.

-will watts

Individual slides are a simple design that only really requires (on the most basic level) getting all the throttle plates to open and close at the exact same time. Everything else, if you have the equipment, is easily done. Not sure about laser based oxygen sensors, but I know GM has been using intake oxygen sensors for years. The 98 S10 and Blazers have two intake oxygen sensors and two exhaust. It meters the fuel according to the amount of oxygen coming and going out. I assume it's for better management in that instead of calculating a certain point in exhaust it calculates a more specific ratio of intake oxygen to exhaust oxygen for better AFR targeting.

I would think the best possible option for a mechanical engineering project, if you want to incorporate the Z, would be to build a better super charger setup using MPI and some sort of screw style super charger with a custom intake to mount it to. Jim Cook Racing has a nice kit, but I believe some of the guys have gotten quotes and it's prohibitively expensive. Here's the link:

http://www.jimcookracing.com/catalog/page24.html

It's also a draw through TBI setup so that sorta blows...No pun intended.

What if you did some ITB's that had an iris like a camera or an eye?

That would involve a little more engineering and has never been done before as far as I know.

Best of luck on your project!

OTM/Dan

good idea, thanks

How about an electro/hydraulic valve system that doesn't use cams at all.

You can run the engine on any number of cylinders you want and have the "dead" cylinder's valves open at all times for a true multi displacement engine (unlike Chrysler's)

Plus you can tailor timing for each specific cylinders and variable valve timing controlled only by electrons instead of complex devices like V-tech, VVTi or vanose...

I know BMW is coming with something like that but, i think that the main problem is that they are waiting for the 48V. systems to come out for it to work properly...

How about somthing simple, Effective, and with in your original Scope? Like Stand alone single line fuel pressure control! The ECU Monitors a Honeywell "Gas/Alcohol" sensor and maintains a set fuel line pressure by PWMing the Pump? No heated Fuel, No return Line to Plumb, no Regulator needed, output the signal to a remote or make it work with a Game boy or Palm Pilot.

Then sell the Idea to pay off you Student Loans! :)

Kevin