HybridZ

Got a 280z. Damage Report?

I've made an impulse buy, and purchased a '77 280z, AZ car until 87 or so, and then slowly a rust bucket up in PA.

It has a Chevy V8 (327 or 350), a TH350 (hopefully), and some weird custom made conversion kit.

The exterior is shitty (repairable), and there's also rust on various other parts of the unibody. Comments on how to repair (other then replacing floors/framerails) are welcome. Here's the album

Some pic notes:

The really rusty floor/framerail is passenger size.

The better framerail, decent floor, rust above frame rail / sub frame is on that size, I'm not quiet sure how to repair it.

The mounting "kit" is custom it seems (since other kits use front crossmember to mount the engine) - any ideas if that's a good or bad design

Trunk seems clean, and I assume the rear part (that's banged in) is spot welded?

The center console area is rusty too...

The engine doesn't have much clearance at the top, I want to put some kind of an air cleaner there, but don't know if anything will fit.

Lastly, I havn't decide where i'm cutting into yet, but I'm definately getting the bad dog framerails, and I might just use sheet metal and try to repair the floor myself instead of buying premade floor pans... and POR 15 everything.

Well the 77 I just bought today is not quite as bad as yours. I will be able to just cut bad spots and weld in some replacement sheet metal. Plus most of my spots are where I want to cut out anyway to do fender flares and bodykit.

Just make it a long term project and it will all get worked out.

• 2 years later...

this is a very old post, but the sad news is that I really didn't have time to do much on this car, and I should probably sell it instead of just sitting there.

Would it be worth anything? I'll ID the carb and the trans this weekend, but the engine is (most likely) a '69 327 with a 75cc head from either a 350 vette, LT1, or Z/28.

Just take any part that's not totally useless and try and sell it on here. From those old pictures it looks like some of it may be salvageable That's what my undereducated mind says you should do.

That car looked vicious though. Like it was ready to eat a crowd of unsuspecting people.

Ahh Another Z-ombi... Z post back from the dead. If that 350 is really a 69 Vette motor, it might actually be worth something on the Vette boards. but I'm sorry to say that Z is in pretty bad shape. It's unfortunate, I hope you didn't pay too much for it what 3 years ago? Unfortunately most Z's end their lives this way, rusting and parted out. I'm sure it game someone a lot of pleasure. Perhaps you should consider buying a nicer body S30, and swapping parts over. In fact, there's a thread up right now from SloPoke, where he's got a Z he's pulling the engine and tranny from, then part or sell the shell. It looks in decent shape, I bet you could buy it and ship it cheap. Swap over your engine tranny (and pass side mirror :wink: ) n you'd be set!

Phar

I guess that's what I'll probably do. Pull the motor/trans/rad/not rusted body parts, and some interior pieces, and junk the shell.

I live in PA though, its tough to come by a good Z that doesn't cost 2 arms and a leg, for example:

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/1730127832.html

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/1722815706.html

Edited by Speeder2000