HybridZ

The VQ35 is mounted (Pics)

240hoke

For some 350Z owners bleeding the air out is a whole day event so don't worry about it.

You might want to try lifting the front of the engine while leaving the rear lower to alow air to come up. Also, if your running a heater it helps to leave it running while you add liquid when the engines running.

It's no surprise to me why it's so hard to bleed the engine for air. The dahm thing has a million passages and hoses!

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got back from the dealership, that radiator filler tool is the trick!!! It screws onto the radiator and you pull 25-30inlbs of vac on the system to get all the air out, then you have a coolant bucket above the engine that you suck the coolant from....its worked beautifully took about 15 minutes total and the engine was completely topped off, thermostat works perfect now.

Here is the tool, its made by Matco, I think ill be purchasing one soon as I think its the way to do any automobile especially new motors like the VQ, runs about 160 bucks:

AC550000.jpg

Here are a few fresh pictures of the car on the ground and the Aerocatch latches installed. I still havent taken her for a spin yet, I spent all day mounting the hood and front bumper. I plan to take her out tomorrow afternoon, might take some video If I can grab somebody to film otherwise I might just film a walk around.

DSC_0178_Medium.jpg

DSC_0191_Medium.jpg

I did a little write-up on the pins:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=142800

Whoooo Hoooooo this thing is a blast. The engine is very strong in the car and drives great...although I gotta say this muffler has got to go, wow is it loud and its constantly loud not just when you get on it!

I think the 3.70 Rear is a great match for the engine as well, first is still pretty dern short but not worthless this thing gets up and goes in the upper rpm's....she breaks free easily with a second gear roll on.

Ive got a few issues that Ive got to tackle before I drive it again but hopefully Ill take a good video late this afternoon or tomarrow.

Whoooo Hoooooo this thing is a blast. The engine is very strong in the car and drives great...although I gotta say this muffler has got to go, wow is it loud and its constantly loud not just when you get on it!

I think the 3.70 Rear is a great match for the engine as well, first is still pretty dern short but not worthless this thing gets up and goes in the upper rpm's....she breaks free easily with a second gear roll on.

Ive got a few issues that Ive got to tackle before I drive it again but hopefully Ill take a good video late this afternoon or tomarrow.

Don't change the muffler, it sounds awesome the way it is. Really good work on your car too. Looking good-

The car is looking great! Like Pete said you may just need a resonator and be good to go. I like the hood pins that you did and may do the same depending on what setup I go with. Your attention to detail is amazing and I hope to learn that art of patience on the next two Z builds...lol

Now where is the vid? =P

Thanks for the compliments guys,

So far Ive put about 30 miles on the car. The engine is really responsive, starts right up and purrs every single time. Still have a few issue with the car though, I was up late last night trying to figure out my rear end noise. I have a loud popping noise in slow left hand turns, I thought it was an axle bind issue with the 300zx cv's. I took the springs out and moved the suspension through the travel, the only interference was at full droop... just to be safe I ground the ends of the axles down to give me a little extra clearance and removed the grease caps. This worked out well and made them much easier to install and I have no binding anywhere.

Didnt fix it.... I think its an issue with the pumpkin, perhaps a result of me adding the clutches. Anyway Ill prolly drop it soon and try and figure it out before I drive it too much. It never does it at speed though, just low 5-10mph tight turns, like turning out onto a street from a stop sign.

I also did a little clearencing for my exhaust by removing a pesky fin on the transmission that was rattling a bit. While I had the exhaust down I decided to finish up my transmission mount with some extra reinforcing and powerder coat. I never liked the weld joint between the tube and the mounting plates, or relying solely on the 1/8" wall tube to support all the weight...with the added ribs I feel much more confident in its durability. I haven't modeled it but im sure it added a substantial amount of strength.

DSC_0214_Medium.jpg

DSC_0216_Medium.jpg

But anyway so far so good, besides the diff issue. I haven't had anyone to film video so non yet, hopefully my buddy will drop by this weekend to film for me...if all else fails my gf will be in town tuesday and she can film. Then yall can get an idea for this exhaust lol, I dunno how Myron does it since he is running the same muffler. IMO the XR1 is for a track car only. The Drone is constant, I would have to wear ear plugs to ride in the car for more then a short trip. I will be replacing the muffler ASAP, prolly ordering a Borla ProXS tonight.

That's an incredible finished (okay, nothing really ever is) product. Any closer shots of the brackets you fabbed for the Aerocatch latch attachment? I'd seen these latches installed on an S130, but now I know that with the right ingenuity it can be done on an S30 as well.

Thansk guys,

Pete84 - Im using a CLSD R200, I have a sticky about adding the clutches in the drivetrain section....I have always had the issue but I thought it was the CV's :icon_frow. Hopefully somebody can chime in or Ill make a post about it in the drivetrain section....maybe its normal like Kenny suggested, but its pretty violent. As far as the wiring I wouldnt mind putting something together, I havent decided what to do yet.

Blue72 - I posted a link to the Aerocatch install thread there are a few more pictures of the mounts in there.