HybridZ

What suspension for my SR20 240Z?

Hey guys, I recently put an SR20 into my 72 240Z and LOVE IT! Swap was done down at Vildini Motorsports!!! GREAT GREAT GREAT GUYS! Adrien is the man!

Anyway, I'm looking to upgrade the suspension on my car becuz since the swap my car sits pretty damn high. I know its because of the weight difference, so here's my question to you. .

This car is driven about 4 days a week and might see an AutoX once or twice a year, but mostly street miles. I don't want a rough ride but i don't want lean in my turns. I had this setup in mind . .

Tokico HP's

Eibach Springs

MMS sway bars

and new bump stops.

Now the only problem i forsee is that this spring and strut setup is for the stock 240z, and I want my car lowered the 1.0" it will lower it. But, since i saw such a DRAMATIC rise in the height in the front of the car i'm afraid that these will be doing the same thing. Does anyone here with an SR20 or anyone with knowledge have any recomendations as to what i should do?

I really don't feel like having my struts sectioned, seeing as it would be a hassle. But if there's no way around it I'll do it. So, what do you guys think?

On a side note I was thinking of going coilovers and sectioning the struts, but I don't want the harsher ride of coilovers. please help.

Matt

wouldn't going tokico adjustable make me have to section my struts though? Or will they slide right in? I heard you have to bore out the inner tubing a little, along with get camber plates welded in? Just making sure of everything.

When I installed my illuminas they installed just like any other strut insert. If you convert to coilovers (which I highly suggest) you SHOULD use camber plates and DO NOT modify the stock hats to hold the springs. I did that and my springs rub on the threaded sleeves.

Dan

I've probably got everything you need http://www.betamotorsports.com.

I guess i should also mention I'm on a tight budget. haha I would love to go coilover, but i don't have the money to do it, and time. This car is driven 4 days a week, and my other car is on its way out. So, i need to be able to have the job done within a day or two.

I thank you for the help though.

another option: http://www.arizonazcar.com/coil.html

~Andrew

This is more in my price range, but still pretty damn expensive. Plus its going to cost some $$ to have the welding done.

What i really want to know is, can I go with the Eibach or Tokico setup i was talking about earlier and if I don't like how high it sits, cut like a coil or two off without sectioning the struts?

I think both the tokico and eibach springs are progressive so I'm assuming cutting them a little will result in a harsher ride? Are there any springs i can use that are not progressive which can allow me to cut off a coil or so and not result in a different ride, just less suspension travel? ( Which I'm assuming I can make up for a little by increasing the stiffness of the Illuminas to not allow them to go as far down under hard cornering, driving?)

If you look at my Tokico products page you'll see that I sell Tokico shocks, springs, etc. For my last street 240Z I ran the Tokico HP shocks and set of Eibach Pro springs. Worked very well. MSA has the Eibach springs on sale and I can pretty much beat anyone's price on the Tokicos.

If you look at my Tokico products page you'll see that I sell Tokico shocks, springs, etc. For my last street 240Z I ran the Tokico HP shocks and set of Eibach Pro springs. Worked very well. MSA has the Eibach springs on sale and I can pretty much beat anyone's price on the Tokicos.

What do you think about the weight difference? Will it not lower the car becuase of the loss of weight up front? I'm just worried that it will be the exact same height it is right now. . . . What do you think?

Read up:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=104720

If you've installed a SR20DE (not a DET) then you've probably pulled 150lbs. out of the car and moved the weight distirbution back about 2%. This might affect the rake of the car but, since you're on a tight budget, the only way to find out is to install the springs and see.

I did coilovers for around $800 with Illuminas. Add about $250 for some camber plates and then maybe $120 for top spring perches.

I did all the welding myself.

Dan/OTM

Tokico blues and some regular lowering springs should work fine but it won't be adjustable and you won't be able to change your spring rates cheaply/easily.

i put in a SR20DET and it raised the front end considerably. I talking a large amount of extra travel. Anyway, what do you guys think? Should i B safe with HP's and some eibach springs? Or should i spend the extra $$ and get the illuminas? ( would getting the illuminas help with when/if i cut the eibach's a little?

Nope. Search.

I had, but it's kinda varying depending on who you listen to, I suppose. One thing I observed on another thread about F/R weight distribution is that the SR20 sits farther back and therefore some of weight MAY actually shift it rearward and thus a tad bit of front ride height increase. I am sure this depends a lot on what you do with an intercooler and piping etc. Some of the stuff that sits way forward.

I bet a lot of ppl are looking at the right height as SOON as they drop the motor and trans in and before they put all the ancillary items on, too.