HybridZ

New Design Front Arm

Here is my latest iteration of a front arm that does not require the TC rod to be disconnected in order to adjust it. The custom piece is a three inch length of 1.125" OD tubing with a .220" wall thickness. This allows it to be threaded for the metric threads of the tie rod on one end (1.625" deep) and the 3/4-16 LH threads for the double adjuster on the other end (1.375" deep). The threaded end of the tie rod needs to be shortened 1/2" but then it can be threaded all the way in and locked with the jam nut. It doesn't require any future adjustments. All of the length adjustments can now be accomplished by using the double adjuster. I plan to install this on my car, adjust it to my specs and then possibly make a slightly longer version, if necessary, to ensure that all of the threaded portions are almost completely threaded in for utmost strength. Let me know your thoughts.

Mike Mileski

Tucson, AZ

2newarm_thumb.JPG

When the car is on a jack and the front struts are fully extended, are you worried about the tie rod/ball joint binding? It looks like the center of the joint is perpendicular to the centerline of the arm. I wonder if the joint has as much rotation as the stock ball joint. Hopefully it's all good. Looks real nice, and easy to adjust.

I had to put a small bend in the front tube on mine so that the heim joint was in the middle of its range at ride height. This made it so no binding under full extension or compression. You can see the bend and angle in the front view on the picture below:

fnt.jpeg

I made the arms dimensionally identical to the tubular arms that Arizona Z Car used to sell, and I also used the exact same tie rod. I never heard of any issues with their products and they sold a bunch of them over the years. However, a friend of mine has a similar pair that I made and he races his 240Z. His car is extremely low and he runs a lot of negative camber. He had concerns similar to yours so he put the tie rod in a 12 ton press and slightly bent it just past the end of the theads to a several degree angle, approximately the same as shown in your picture. He never tried it first to see if it would work as is but is more comfortable with it slightly angled.

Mike Mileski

Tucson, AZ

I have a set of AZC front arms, and they did indeed bind when topped out. This was 5 years ago and I think there design has changed. I ended up cutting off the straight front tube, and adding a bent one to fix the angle. I then decided just to build my own.

• 4 weeks later...