HybridZ

Engine weights, all sorts of engines/trans will be weighed..

BRAAP

• Administrators

Prime EMS and Rusch Motorsports split the cost of a crane scale which arrived yesterday. 1000 lb capacity, .2 lbs resolution. The first engine we weighed is a complete L-24 with early SU carbs, exhaust manifold, etc. Results are posted in the defintive weight thread linked below.

We have already secured other engines to weigh over the next couple weeks including a 2JZ, VG30DE, LS-6, VH45DE, L-28, VQ35DE, various SBC’s, possibly an SBF. We would like to also weigh an SR20, KA24, the various RB’s, the Yota V-8’s, big blocks, etc. Anyone close to the Portland Oregon metro area with an engine/trans to weigh, drop me or Ron Tyler a PM.

Click me for the Defintiive engine weight thread...

• Administrators

Just updated the “definitive” engine trans weight thread with the following engine trans weights…

Weighed “Savage42”’s Corvette LS6 with 4L60E, headers, alternator, engine and trans wet;

Suby EJ-22 engine only;

Nissan VG30DETT engine only;

’03 GM Vortec 5.3 W/Magna-charger and 4L60E.

According to Sallee Chevrolet, here's some info on the 4L60E:

The 4L60 transmission is the successor to the workhorse 700R4 four-speed automatic.... Weight (with converter): 164 lbs. (dry) 184 lbs. (wet) ...

Using that info, if you subtract the trans weight from the overall weight, it puts the LSX (with both motors not having A/C) at 425 lbs (wet) and the L24 at 365ish (if you add oil & oil pump), so a 60 lbs difference. Not too bad for triple the HP!! :)

I don't want to open up a contest but I just want to say that when I pulled the head off of my turbo motor, I was surprised at how light it was. I realized then that the center of gravity of the L28 motor is actually pretty low. Even though it is a tall motor most of the mass is down, near, or below the wheel hubs.

190081455-M.jpg

Thanks for going to this trouble.

I realize you are weighing what you have on hand. But there are still a LOT of considerations that have to be made to make these numbers meaningful to everyone. For instance; Manual vs Automatic includes a lot of other pieces besides the trannys themselves.

Most of us building up the older SBC engines are using a lot of lightweight components.The ancillary systems for carbed hot-rod engines are simple and lightweight. These may not compare easily to the more complex late model LSx engines. You would need to set them all up in running condition to get more useful weights.

• Administrators

Thank you guys for the support regarding the “definitive weights” thread. Firstly, the “Definitive weights” thread “is” a compromise. No argument about that. For the amount of our own money, effort, and time, we are willing to put forth into that endeavor purely for the sole purpose of sharing our findings with the HybridZ members, this is as detailed as we are currently willing to make it. We encourage all members who have access to accurate scales to contribute to that thread, all we ask is that you follow the guidelines as posted in the first post in that thread. If anyone is interested in building and maintaining a detailed spread sheet of sorts for that thread, we would be glad to have you on board. If someone is wiling to sponsor our time and supplies, then we would be glad to take this to a whole new level and establish SAE style standards for weighing engines and power train combinations. wink.gif

The reason behind the “definitive engine weights” thread?

In our searches for engine and power train weights in the past, we have not been able to find a standard for which engines are weighed “to” and what engine/power train weights we did find contradicted others findings, so who were we to believe? In my not so humble opinion, all of those weights we found posted on the internet, including those found in other threads here on HybridZ are worthless. This new thread is an attempt to present a more accurate representation of what specific power trains do weigh with and without certain accessories and options.

The definitive weights thread isn’t going to satisfy just one particular engine or project, i.e. SBC, LSx, V-8 Automatic powered Z cars, etc, nor are we going to go through the trouble of equipping each and every engine we weigh with exactly what it takes for it run because who is to say what “should” and “should not” be included during the weigh in, i.e. how much of the EFI harness, vacuum hoses to the canister, the canister itself, fuel pump, etc, for the varying power trains, "Carbed" vs "Fuel injected", "custom engine conversions" vs "as installed OE", hence the compromises we made for that thread. For the SBC alone, there are SOOO many different configurations when you take into account induction, exhaust, heads, ancillaries, etc, there is NO way we could possibly cover all bases. The list created here isn’t ideal nor will it encompass every possible engine trans configuration that could be stuffed under the hood of a Z car.

What that thread will offer is a definitive guide more accurately portraying a specific power train combinations weight with a short list of what "is" and "is not" included.

As for the 2 LSx/Auto power trains currenlty posted, purely coincidence that I had access to two LSx power trains last Thursday, both just happened to have 4L60E transmissions mated to them. We will be weighing more than a few traditional SBC combos including iron heads, aluminum heads, w/T-56, etc. (I am currently building a traditional SBC 350 with aluminum heads, aluminum water pump, T-56 etc). We will also be weighing other power plants as time goes on, including my VH45DE, Dave Lums VQ35DE, a 2JZ, a few SBF’s, etc.

Again, thank you guys for your support and stay tuned for more weigh-ins…

• 1 month later...