HybridZ

Custom door panels 79-83 280zx

mrkopsho

Ok, here's the deal. I know someone from this forum who will build custom door panels for our beloved 130's!! What we are looking for is interest from all you ZX owners as well as a commitment.

There was a thread started a while back about 280z interior door panels with speaker provisions and a lot of people seemed interested. Yet, when the time came to actually purchase the item, many people backed out. The price was awesome as well as the quality of craftsmanship. But for some reason the finished product didn’t move very well. I noticed that there was some interest in getting these made for the ZX. I am one who would love to own a set.

If we can gather 10 (at least) people who are interested in having a set of these made and are willing to put up a small deposit for the work and materials involved in the project then we will move ahead. If anyone here is interested please IM me or post here.

whats the price for us? also could we have certain options and the arm rests etc etc

Ok, here's the deal. I know someone from this forum who will build custom door panels for our beloved 130's!! What we are looking for is interest from all you ZX owners as well as a commitment.

There was a thread started a while back about 280z interior door panels with speaker provisions and a lot of people seemed interested. Yet, when the time came to actually purchase the item, many people backed out. The price was awesome as well as the quality of craftsmanship. But for some reason the finished product didn’t move very well. I noticed that there was some interest in getting these made for the ZX. I am one who would love to own a set.

If we can gather 10 (at least) people who are interested in having a set of these made and are willing to put up a small deposit for the work and materials involved in the project then we will move ahead. If anyone here is interested please IM me or post here.

As far as I can tell so far the price would be in the same range as the ones he made for the 280z crowd. (about 230) He does make arm rests for the panels but what other options are you refering too? Like extra speakers? I'm sure that any option could be explored but remember that making a mold takes alot of time to do right and if you want to change something you have to make another mold. Once you change the original you cant just change it back. So lets say you want two speakers for example. Now another set of door panels has to be prepared,speaker mount formed onto surface and covered with glass/resin, finished to perfection then a mold taken from that pc. Only then can you produce useable pcs. from that mold. So what did you have in mind (options?)

mainly the arm rests i was thinking because im going with shaved handles i wouldnt need door handles but i can still use them

The armrest should be no problem b/c it can be made off the door and put on if you want it. Also, I made a set of panels a while back and just mounted my original armrest back on the new panel. Follow this link and scroll down about halfway to see what the 280 z panel with armrest and without looked like. http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=105320&page=7

I am also thrilled that people are taking an interest in the s130. Count me in, I would love some of these. Have any pictures of some painted?

These parts are not made yet. We are ready willing and quite capable of making them but would like to make sure its worth all the trouble first. Making these pcs. is to say the least, time consuming. They wouldnt be painted when shipped. It would be up to you if you wanted to have them covered with material or painted. To get an idea of what they would look like just go to http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=105320&page=7 These were of course made for the older z cars but it gives you an idea as to what the end prodct will look like. Just imagine your same door skin with speaker hole.

i would be interested but i would like to see how the door panel would look like and since my 280zx has pw how would that fair on the purchase

Power windows will be no problem since all there is, is a simple hole where the window switches pop into. You simply pull your window switches out and stick them in the new panel. Refer to my last post for link as to what the end product will resemble.:)

I would definitely be down for a set for that price. Just a couple of questions: Does the door panel put the speaker far enough from the door so that you do not have to cut the sheet metal to get it to fit? How does the door panel attach to the door frame? Will it reuse the plastic fasteners or will it have to be screwed on?

I would definitely be down for a set for that price. Just a couple of questions: Does the door panel put the speaker far enough from the door so that you do not have to cut the sheet metal to get it to fit? How does the door panel attach to the door frame? Will it reuse the plastic fasteners or will it have to be screwed on?

All good questions. I epoxy fastened my orininal clips onto the back of my new panel but I'll have to get with Pete to see what he has in mind. As far as speakers go, we'll make the depth deep enough to fit most common 6.5 in speaker depths. I'll check online and gather info on the depths that would be best before the panels are made but rest assured no metal cutting unless you have some monster system planned with an extremly deep magnet:mrgreen:

I might be down for some but I would have to see them first. I don't want arm rests on mine but I would need the cut out for the window switches and the speakers.

Guy

Good to see your interest but remember we are looking for a group of guys willing to give a small deposit before we start them. I can assure you the panels will be of top quality and a direct replacement of your factory original. If you follow the link from a couple of posts up,you can get a good idea of what they will look like. The ones pictured are for older style doors but the quality is there as well as close ups of the speaker provision and handle hole ect.

• 3 weeks later...

i like the idea i hate the carpet at the bottom of the factor ones so this sounds like a great idea. i'll take a set. i would like the arm rest and the power window switch. i would like it to be as close to factor without being factory if that makes sense.

thanks ill talk to you guys about it later

Sign me up for a set. I'll pay in full if I get mine right now,might be a good idea to get a general idea for shipping cost's...I remember John C having to find shipping box's and a carrier to deliver his hoods this past spring.And can you be paid by PAY-PAL?

Sorry about not getting back quicker. I was in Indiana helping my parents re-roof thier house. I'll call Pete tonight and ask him about pay pal and the shipping. Thanks for the interest.