HybridZ

C32 AMG - opinions?

Michael

Contemplating a “quality†late-model used car purchase, I got interested in the 2002-2003 Mercedes C32 AMG, which is their souped-up C-class sedan, with the 3.2V6 topped by a positive-displacement blower. Depending on mileage and condition, these cars can be found for < $25K, which is about 50% depreciation over 4 years. Internet discussion on these cars is awash with nothing but glowing praise, but I’m concerned about reliability and cost of maintenance.

Does anyone have any experience with these cars?

My test-drive was very satisfying. Punch the gas pedal and seat-of-the-pants acceleration is exactly what I’ve been looking for in a daily driver. If reliability were not a problem, I would likely buy one.

The reviews are actually pretty decent. You've got a BMW, so you know the slight increase in European parts, which seems to be getting lower as the years go by. So adjusting to that won't be an issue... Some say that the Chrysler/Benz merger helped dodge and hurt MB, but the ratings on the cars between 99-2005 are pretty good... The C class can be a bargain if well maintained, but I'd get a PPI done before jumping in head first. Just keep up with the maintenance... Oh, and the little lady will look good sporting that around... :wink:

Mike

Funny you mention this car, as I recently drove a few "high end" C Class cars including the AMG C32 and also the AMG C55 as I am in the market for a fun but yet quick 4door car.

I loved both cars and the 349hp in the Supercharged C32 left me very impressed. Price used as you indicated is very appealing. From the Benz forums that I am a member of reliability has been very good on these cars too.

Not sure if you wrench at home, but the C32 is very tightly packaged in the engine bay, so working on, definitely requires patience and decent aptitude.

If the price, color and condition are spot on, go for it.

Yasin