HybridZ

Problem with oil pump drive

savageskaterkid

I am having a hard time trying to get the oil pump spindle back into place on my L28, and by the Haynes manual, its says that it gets removed and installed without having to pull the front cover. I don't remember how it came apart, but its not going in like it should, it won't push in all the way. Am I missing something?

Don't forget to guide it through the distributor hole/bush it's not over tight but can stop them going all the way home, it's a bit of a wiggle and a push, try some engine oil on the gear to help it slide over the crank drive. other than that if youv'e had nothing else out then 'looking' from this distance I'm at a loss.

Nige

setting engine to TDC and aligning little marks aside.... Ahem...

You need to set your engine to TDC firstly!

Remove the dastardly distributor!

make sure you remove the dastardly little shaft with the drive gear on it, you need that piece in hand to align everything properly.

Wasn't there a Manual written about this.

You say the crankshaft won't turn the oil/timing shaft. The gear is not meshed. The shaft is not all the way in the hole. Therefore the oil pump will not go all the way in the hole.

Leaving the distributor and drive gear in the front cover is not such a great idea. The drivegear and shaft can fall out when you least expect it and get damaged.

It is not clear from your description what you actually did in the first place. It sounds like you tried to remove only the pump. The drive shaft has shifted or the distributor is still in place and blocking things. You need to start over with the procedure in the manual.

It usually takes longer to shift the sway bar out of the way than it does to change the oil pump it's self. This is a 5 minute job once you can get to it. There are not very many teeth on the gear. It is pretty easy to get it aligned right. The Distributor is a No-brainer. It only fits ONE-WAY

The motor has been tore apart for along time, and this is the last thing I need to do before I put the wiring back in.

I started by putting the motor at TDC, then putting in the spindle. It slides in fairly easy, then it won't go any further, if I look at the top, the spindle isn't flush, is sunk down in the hole about 1/8 of an inch. I was under the car looking while a buddy turned the motor over by turning the crank bolt. The motor is turning over, but the spindle won't turn at all. The dizzy and pump are not in at all. I can't get the pump in because the spindle won't seat all the way up.

I tried what the manual says, about lining up the marks, and the FSM says to try it slightly offset "in the 11:25am position" I couldn't get either on to work.

It sounds to me you are not seated inside the pump. Take the shaft and put it into the pump before trying to insert it into the front cover. Your going to have to spin the shaft so it falls into the slot in the pump. Once engaged, the drive gear will be all the way down on the pump. You cannot get the shaft to turn by the crank if the pump is not installed.

Joe

the pump drive gear is the worm gear on the crankshaft. that gear meshes with the gear on the oil pump drive shaft, if the gear on the crank is on wrong the two gears wont mesh. the drive gear on the crank is chamfered on one side, one side will have a different tapper to it, that side faces the main bearing journal. do you own the how to modify your nissan and datsun book??? if so turn to page77 there is a pic of the crank pulley, behind that is the worm gear,than turn to page 93 , read where the headline says install external parts. I hope this helps..

the easiest way i have found is line the dots up with the drive in the oil pump outside the car

insert JUST THE SPINDLE into the front cover, and grab with needle nose pliars throught the dizzy hole, then pull it up into the right position.

then insert oil pump!

easy as cake, works every time.

easier with two people though....

the easiest way i have found is line the dots up with the drive in the oil pump outside the car

insert JUST THE SPINDLE into the front cover, and grab with needle nose pliars throught the dizzy hole, then pull it up into the right position.

then insert oil pump!

easy as cake, works every time.

easier with two people though....

This is what I've been trying, minus the pliers. I have not been trying to put the pump on, BUT JUST THE DRIVE SPINDLE FOR IT, I may have not been clear enough when I stated it before, but thats what I've been trying to do, just get the spindle in place, then I can line up the pump and dizzy.

I checked the spindle again, and it still appears to be straight and true. But for some reason when I push the spindle through the lower hole, and trie to get it to come up through the upper hole(dizzy hole) its slighly off, maybe a 1/16-1/32 off, so it can't be pushed up through the hole. I was thinking my timing cover could be seated unproperly, but even if it was, both holes are on the same casting, so adjusting one wouldn't through the other one off, would it?

I've always installed the Turbo Oil Pump/Drive Spindle as a unit. The dot and marking on the pump will mae it lline up when it goes up into mesh with the crankshaft gear.

The only time I don't do it that way is when it's in a running engine and I'm inspecting the oil pump. In that case, I pull the distributor cap, put a big rubber band around the rotor to hold tension on the gearmesh so the spindle won't drop, and I pull the pump. Make note of theangle the slot in the pump drive is at, and get it close before reinstallation.

To then install the pump, then stuff it up there and give a twist each way till it seats, then in go the bolts and torque it down.

Mind this: don't be pushing up with all your might putting that oil pump in there, push it up gingerly till you fee it hit, then give a slight rotation to get the drive tang on the spindle to fall into place. If you are pushing up too hard, friction will simply turn the pump drive shaft, and you will never get it to line up!

Usually, a 15 degree twist one way or the other lets it seat fully, then turn it back so the bolts line up and have at it.

Good Luck, let us know how it goes.

• 1 month later...

Ended up bringing it to the shop. Turns out that there is a little collar piece of some sort that is restricing the oil pump drive from actually seating on the crank gear. Seems as though I have to pull the front cover, and inspect the crank and see if I can get this thing to seat properly. The shop refuses to work on the Z anymore, and I am no longer allowed to goto that shop anymore.