HybridZ

painted my tired wheels ;)

scottyMIz

Guest 280ZForce

yeah I like the black wheels w/ chrome lips myself, but i'm a lil biased to that.

what spoiler is that on the hatch? got any closer pics of it and also around the mounting area as well?

yea flat black it's just primer so it would stick to the bare metal, i think it looks good the wheels looked crappy before cuz you could see where the clear was flaking off. I can get better pics of the spoiler it's just an 80's trans am spoiler that i modded to fit on the 280z.

• Administrators

The wheels in the "before" pics reminds me of custom wheels that you would see installed on a clean 1989 Ford Taurus. The "after" pictures of those wheels brings the style much closer to a modern look, and as interim wheels, look pretty good.

Just shows that with a little ingenuity, a dated wheel style can still look good today.

Nice work.

They look great. I am actually about to go put another coat on mine! I bought a 94 Volvo 850 turbo as a commuter car, and the silver stockers were dirty, scratched, and had brake dust caked on them. I sanded them down with 400 grit, primered them, painted, and cleared. Did you sand or anything? Make sure you clear coat them, it will help them last a lot longer.

They look great. I am actually about to go put another coat on mine! I bought a 94 Volvo 850 turbo as a commuter car, and the silver stockers were dirty, scratched, and had brake dust caked on them. I sanded them down with 400 grit, primered them, painted, and cleared. Did you sand or anything? Make sure you clear coat them, it will help them last a lot longer.

400 grit? isnt that kinda fine. i always go to 120 grit when prepping for the first coat of paint.

The wheels look much better! Gives it more of an old school racer look. The previous look of the wheels looks more like the early nineties method of putting on cheap 5 stars onto (insert name of car) to make it look racey. (no offence meant Scott)

120 grit sandpaper will take lots of sanding afterwards to get out that deep of a scratch. Anything grittier (lower number) than 400 can be tough to cover up with paint.

Think of it this way. 100 grit (used to make the math easier) makes scratches 4 times as deep as 400 grit. If you sanded with 100 grit sandpaper, and then went over it again with 400 grit sandpaper, you would have scratches that are now only 3 times as deep as 400 grit scratches

Now if your goal is to remove all of the previous paint off, then you will be ok.

I'm only posting this only so people don't think they HAVE to start with 120 grit.

I repainted my rear quarters on my Z this year (painted over the old paint), and I prepped the car using 220 before priming, and 400 after priming.

Scott

i used the 120 just to scuff the clear on the wheels and to smooth out the spots where the clear flaked off. I do agree tho it is easier to cover 400 grit scratches than 120. I used black primer to paint them and it's buildable primer so it is alot easier to hide the deep scratches. The wheels had alot of imperfections so for me it didn't matter ;)

dont listen to me! lol. all i know is what i learned at UTI. and i havent done much since then. but now that i think bout it we started 80 grit to remove paint and went up to 120, primered then went to 220, painted and took care of the rest with wet sanding the clear. i think. but if we werent removing the paint we'd just scuff it with a scotch bright pad. sound bout right to ya'll?