HybridZ

Can a l28et fit in 30" lengthwise?

Comrade_Charlie

Im getting a 280zx turbo parts cars and I want to put the engine in something other than a 280zx since I have a 300zx and I consider 280s and 300s basicly the same. And I have a 4door 1979 corolla with no engine sitting around...

So I want to know if It can fit, since I dont have a 280 anywhere around me I cant measure so can a l28 fit within 30 inches between the firewall and the front structural support beam or whatever its called... I could probaly go 1 or 2 more inches with some modding...

I hate to break your balls here, chuck, but i cant think of any two Z-car models so close to each other chronologically that are MORE different than 280ZX:Z31.....

I doubt HIGHLY that it would fit, but my car is not accessible to measure. Look here in this sub forum, on the first page, for a post by a user named Jintu; he just recently shoehorned an L28 into a Nissan Pickup. If anyone could help you, he could.

I've seen it done.

Some things have to be cut and moved, but an L-series will fit into a Z31 somehow. It's definately not worth all the work. You'd be better off picking up a VG30ET from the junkyard and dropping it in.

The S130 and Z31 and actually quite similar in terms of the suspension design.

RB20 was a stock option in the Z31 Chassis, no reason that the similarly sized L28 wouldn't fit.

The L28 was a common swap in the 'early days' of the VG for Drag Racers that wanted to run the current body, but with proven technology.

Yea my cousin told me about the rb20 coming in the 300zx in japan... 200zr or whatever. im not trying to put a l28 into a 300zx although the car im putting it in has a similar size engine bay... I have a turbo 300zx and I was talking about the 280zx and 300zx have similar suspension, they have same transmision(t5), and I know its totally different engines. but im trying to put a l28 in a corolla which has 30 inches front to back(in the engine bay) the z31 has 32...

I think it will fit... people put rb26 in a 300zx and rb cant be much longer/shorter than a l28

and it looks like they have a few inches left too. Maybe I should just go through town to the junkyard and measure...

engine.z31.rb26dett.jpg

And here is the corollas engine bay, I probaly should have emphasized on putting the l28 in the corolla more to cause less confusion... I took this pic a long time ago, its no longer in the woods rotting... I was surprised how wide the strut towers are, just as wide as my 300zx's

l77da809eb3a2251fcc106dyd4.jpg

I GOT to send this thread to my Toyota Buddy! LOL This will drive him up the wall!

I donated a 66 Toyota Corona to the Toyota Museum because it sat in my back yard waiting for him to come get it...and I had taken a couple trips out there measuring the engine bay for a VG30T from a Z31!

When I started cruising Summit for narrowed 9" rearends I figured better off to send it on to the museum (it was REALLY nice) than for me to rape it and turn it into a FunnyCar style VG Dragger! I need a dedicated Drage Corona like I need another hold in the head! LOL

I know the later Celicas had longer noses to accomodate the 5M engines in the first "XX" Celicas (Supra here in the USA), I have seen L28's in Sunny's so anything is possible. The Japanese would take two Suzuki Alto Radiators and put them on either side of the engine with electric fans to cool it, and tubing linking them. With that, anything that fits behind the grillework is suitable!

Yea Toyotas are only fast when they are powered by datsun/nissan:). I basicly want to have only 200-250hp max out of a l28 since I want to build my vg30 300zx. I just want a quick sleeper and a rare car, Ive never seen a corolla before 1985 in my state or town or whatever... and I want to have some expirience with the l28et(ive always wanted this motor), I tried to get one before I got my turbo 300zx but the turbo 280 I looked at was all rusted up so.

here is a picture of the 280zx turbo Im buying im not sure of the year 81 or 82? the corolla was really dirty, its been sitting in the woods under pine trees so its got surface rust all over it and some rust in other places but not bad. I washed it today and I need to take some pictures.

this car was a parts car but the engine and turbo crap is all there, Im getting it for 100 bucks. im not sure if the engine is good but I dont care for 100 bucks

l_c74d6f42c291bd03476c3f945c11d276.jpgl_8f6fa1d396b16cdd9842b5a61dd48360.jpg

Well I went to the junkyard finaly its all the way on the other side of town... they have 3 or 4, the l28 I guess is roughly 30-31" long by 20" wide by 23" tall. these dimensions are just eyeballed because of lines and stuff, I checked and double checked though

I didnt think it was going to be 30" I measured my cousind mustang inline 6 which is bigger than a 3 liter it was like 27 or so... the main thing that adds like 2 inches is the fan pulley, I think if it was cut down the engine would be 27-28 inches long from the block where the trans mounts to, to the end of the pulley, I guess its the water pump...

I think it is highly do'able, and should keep me busy for a long while..... thanks for yalls replys