HybridZ

New Toy

zguy95135

Well its not really a toy, but I still like it :)

dsc39872cg5.jpg

dsc4001hd6.jpg

dsc3994ay7.jpg

1944 Mosin Nagant M44 :), the stock is in ok shape but the mechanicals and barrel are like brand new. Its not refurbished either, because it doesn't have the markings on the stock, but it has the refurb dark finish. It doesnt really matter, I just bought it to shoot it :P. Although, I have a gorgeous original '43 M91/30 I will be picking up in less then a week, looks like new.

I took it the range yesterday after I picked it up, shoots like a dream :D . The recoil isn't as bad as all that, I thought it was pretty manageable and this is the first time I've ever shot a rifle.

nope, it's a 7.62x54R (rimmed)

don't buy ammo at big5, it's $12-14 for 20 rounds.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Hungarian_7.62x54RH_147grn_Light_Ball.html

I use these hungarian lightball 147grn mil surp ammo. Keep in mind, any milsurp ammo you use on these is likely corrosive, so you'll need to clean your rifle same day so rust doesn't start forming.

of course,y ou can also buy non-corrosive aftermarket ammo:

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Brown_Bear_7.62x54R_185grn_FMJ.html

Irvington Arms in Fremont usually carries milsurp tin can ammo if you're looking to go the cheaper route - about 3.50/box of 20

I bought a 250 round tin, now if I can only figure out how to get that bastard open. I would rather not use powertools on it, and apparently a hammer and chisel works well... I think I'll wait until my dad gets home for some help, lest I get another screwdriver through the hand.

I accidentally broke off the tab already too...

Sure no problem, how does $2 a clip sound? I've seen em go for like $3+ sometimes. They're still like brand new, and authentic (with the factory 10 stamp on em).

I went down the the range, and I guess my groupings are decent for a first time rifle shooter (I did 10 rounds when I first got it at a 50ft indoor range, but that doesn't count). Man, the 7.62 has got quite a kick, after 100 rounds my shoulder was crying for mercy.

Here's my first 20 shots I took, offhand at 100 yards.

p1010815ao3.jpg

Here's my last group of targets, the top left and middle are shooting from the bench (I shot about 10 rounds at each) and the rest are 5 shots offhand.

p1010813di1.jpg

I think my main problem is that Im slightly subconsciously flinching and pulling the trigger a bit roughly. A recoil pad would help, it got pretty painful after a while shooting bench.

were you shooting with your bayonet folded or extended? judging by your grouping, I'd say it was folded, since you're hitting left. Rifle was sighted in to be used with bayonet extended (barrel harmonics), so try shooting with it extended :)

hope you liked the 2 foot fireballs!

at a 100 yards first time with the mosin? that's actually pretty good. Don't forget the rifles are designed to be used 300-600 yards (trench warfare) that's why you're hitting a little high at 0 setting on the rear sights.