HybridZ

need DIY how too on KA throttle body

Omar

Just to open up some options, all the 240sxs that I saw in the boneyard had the butterfly on the wrong side for what I was trying to do. I started looking at the other cars there with KA engines, and realized that the FWD cars like the stanza or altima had the throttle butterfly on the correct side. After that, it was pretty much like the site that Brad posted, but just wanted to let you know it doesn't have to come from a 240sx.

Just to open up some options, all the 240sxs that I saw in the boneyard had the butterfly on the wrong side for what I was trying to do. I started looking at the other cars there with KA engines, and realized that the FWD cars like the stanza or altima had the throttle butterfly on the correct side. After that, it was pretty much like the site that Brad posted, but just wanted to let you know it doesn't have to come from a 240sx.

????? so u are using a ka from an altima or stanza? i wonder why that wasnt mentioned in the write up.

hmmm... The throttle butterfly doesn't have a "side" it sits in the middle of the throttle bore.

Another related question, can you use the ka tps be used, or dou you have to fit a l28e tps to the ka body?

Depends on the model. Some come with just the POT type TPS (only a pigtail), and others come with a connector on the TPS itself just like the original Z one and also a pigtail for the POT one.

I heard you can adapt the original Z one as well, or that it's atleast easier to do then going from KA TPS to Z TB.

Mario

on the greytech website that was posted... it's noted that the water cooling passage can appear on the top or bottom on some KA TB's.

so the "wrong side" is most likely in reference to someone trying to hold the TB upside down, when in fact the water cooling passage is supposed to be on the opposite side.

am i making sense?

if the top and bottom water cooling passage versions have the spring on the same side, it's probably the reason for all the confusion when someone assumes that the water cooling passages on both TB's should be both be either on top, or vise versa.

And is it possible to use a TB from a Stanza? I just junked one =(

To clear that up: every early (single cam) KA S13 I had in front of me had the "linkage" on the opposite side from the way it originally mounted on my L28. The Stanza i ended up taking it from had the "linkage" on the same side, and it opened in the same direction as my L28e. Coolant passages on the bottom. I used the KA tps, but i've got a megasquirt. The pigtail that hangs off the tps is progressive, but the plug that goes directly into the sensor reads like the Z: on or off. I don't know if the plugs are compatible or not, but i needed the progressive one for MS anyway. The TB I used looks really clean, it doesn't have a bunch of extraneous crap on the top:

intercoolerphotoshoot5.jpg