HybridZ

5.3 smog pass for CA

The 5.3L LM7 truck engines are pretty cheap, economical, and ready to put out plenty of power.

But, I don't know how difficult it would be to keep a Z31 swap smog legal. There is a ton of aftermarket kit to run the Gen III's and LSx's in swaps, but how legal are the wiring harnesses that clip out sensors? Not O2 sensors, but the annoying ones like the gas tank pressure, etc. [not horribly familiar with them all].

The ECU's can have those functions edited out to keep from throwing error codes, but what all in terms of electronics does California require to pass a CARB engine swap inspection?

Also . . . some questions.

From the descriptions I've read, headers that exit to the rear clear the steering rack. Do the ones on the LM7 work?

http://media.gm.com/us/powertrain/en/product_services/2007/Photo%20Library/Gen%20III/Gen%20III%20Truck/07%205.3L%20V8%20LM7%20EXP%20LoR.jpg

What accessories clear? A/C would be handy but not a deal breaker.

Oil pan - I've heard that the Corvette one will allow a lower mount, and has more capacity with the winged pan but needs some work. True?

With the ECU in place, does the 4L60E need any special controllers or is it still good?

Are there any issues with running the LM7 hard? Not track day / autocross hard, but occasional trip down the quarter / windy backwoods mountain road now one drives hard :burnout:Oiling issues?

Any issues, thoughts or suggestions more than welcome!

I can tell you right off the bat that in Cali we can't legally put a truck engine into a car or a car engine into a truck.

Really? You'd think that once you've changed from a Datsun to a Chevy engine it wouldn't matter what the new engine came from. But then again trucks and cars have different smog rules in most other states? Is that also true in California? Georgia has no smog requirements for anything older than 25 years.

Actually, a swap from anything up to a 1 ton is legal, possible at least.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=100533

I'm trying to find out how difficult it is to install a smog legal Gen III block in a 300ZX - after looking at some of the prices at knocking motor Z32's, that is tempting too!

Also trying to find out how much work it would take to fit the front end accessories.

So, how difficult is it to swap in the electronics needed for a California swap inspection?

I'm trying to find out how difficult it is to install a smog legal Gen III block in a 300ZX - after looking at some of the prices at knocking motor Z32's, that is tempting too!

Also trying to find out how much work it would take to fit the front end accessories.

So, how difficult is it to swap in the electronics needed for a California swap inspection?

its only legal within the the same family ie-light duty truck to light duty truck, not car to truck or vice versa. although more expensive you would be better off with the LS1 if you want it legal.

I read TIM240's 2005 post on this matter. I understand from my local referee and the CHP that no truck engine can be legally swapped into a passenger car. At the time I was attempting to clone a 350/350 LT1 using a block out of a 1/2 ton pickup. The referee was adamant: they check serial numbers of the engine and send it along to Sacramento. If the serial is for a truck... out you go. Seemed at the time to be totally senseless as you had to have all the passenger car smog attached.

Nevertheless, I'm putting an LM7 into my 71 Z over the next weekend or so and if I could legally smog it, I'd spend the time to run all the required smog fitting.

Any body on the forum have a definitive answer to whether or not one can legally mount a truck engine into a passenger car?

g

Nevertheless, I'm putting an LM7 into my 71 Z over the next weekend or so and if I could legally smog it, I'd spend the time to run all the required smog fitting.

Any body on the forum have a definitive answer to whether or not one can legally mount a truck engine into a passenger car?

g

I read a couple months ago about not being able to put a truck engine into a passenger car on the DMV website. I'm with you zgeezer, I'm droping in an LQ4 into my Z32. If I could get it legal I would try to get it legal, but, I don't even have a chance. I guess I gotta pay off the smog station to see a VG30DE under the hood and pray a cop doesn't see under my hood.....:(

I read a couple months ago about not being able to put a truck engine into a passenger car on the DMV website. I'm with you zgeezer, I'm droping in an LQ4 into my Z32. If I could get it legal I would try to get it legal, but, I don't even have a chance. I guess I gotta pay off the smog station to see a VG30DE under the hood and pray a cop doesn't see under my hood.....:(

best thing to do is locate the smog referee in your area and give him a call.