HybridZ

Motorcycle Question....

Cable

Hey guys, I know this isn't the ideal forum for this but I figured it was worth a shot.

I own a '82 GL1100 Honda Gold Wing motorcycle. I have had it for years and never had any issues with it.

Recently though it likes to overheat when pulling hills or and higher rpm stuff. Around town I never have any problems. I have already flushed the whole system, changed the T-stat, checked the radiator for excessive deposits, etc and there is no oil in the water or water in the oil. Basically everything is tip-top.

I guess the last thing would be the water pump, but it is a pricey item to buy if it isn't the problem.

Any suggestions guys? I really enjoy riding and can't afford a new bike right now.

Thanks in advance.

It'll help you to not think of it as a motorcycle thing. It's just another engine.

If all your cooling stuff seems in order, then look to fuel and ignition issues. I think those motors have throttle position sensors and something could be wrong with it.

However, I would use distilled water and vinegar to make sure you clean out the cooling system very well, too.

That's all I got right now.

Hey Cable, I work with GL's alot in my buisness. Ok i'm a designer not a mechanic but see many things. If i'm correct your rad should have a cooling fan? (82' is a little before my time lol) Is your cooling fan switching on and off through the tempreture range? If you have a service manual you can also test coolant senors for proper resistance. If not the Honda dealer can supply you with that info. Check the fan with 12volts directly etc. The water pump sounds like it is working properly otherwise it would overheat right away. Usually the gear driven pump shaft seal leaks and contaminates the coolant with oil etc. But as you said all that is good. My guess is the fan system. Hope this helps.

Brian

You may well have a failing pump, radiator starting to mist leak, or a failed cap... Also the t-stat could be the issue...

Mike

It was overheating before I changed out the t-stat because I thought that was the problem. The radiator has ZERO leaks.

I didn't know that the electric fan was needed after 30+ mph because all the air just moving through it already. I don't know if it is on or not while driving, should it be? I have to check that out.

When you say it's overheating, how do you know? I mean, does the gauge rise to the yellow or red section? Could be something as simple as that 25 year old temperature sensor. It might not be overheating at all, just rising slightly above the normal due to load and the sensor iis mis-interpreting the current now as it's about the only thing you haven't mentioned changing. Just a thought.

Warren

When you say it's overheating, how do you know? I mean, does the gauge rise to the yellow or red section? Could be something as simple as that 25 year old temperature sensor. It might not be overheating at all, just rising slightly above the normal due to load and the sensor iis mis-interpreting the current now as it's about the only thing you haven't mentioned changing. Just a thought.

Warren

I have a temp gauge that rises when its getting hot and cools down when idling, no hills, min load, etc. I also know its working because when it gets really hot it starts breaking up and wants to die.

Thanks anyway though.

I read this thread quickly so if repetative sorry..take a look at the radiator inside with cap off, while revving the engine . This should show the water moving. If water not moving/flowing the water pump could be bad. I had an 81 1100 but never had this problem,,great bike.

Ferd