HybridZ

Two* Nissan 350z 03 04 05 Six Speed Transmissions

RB26powered74zcar

Go behind almost any Nissan parts department at almost any Nissan dealership and you'll find them laying all over the place. They were mismanufactured and you can pick them up for next to nothing, all day long. My local dealership called me and asked me how many I wanted before they sent them to the recycler. Something to do with 2 of the syncros or something is bad in them...repair/replacement parts are about $160 through Nissan. Nissan didn't trust their own techs to repair them under warranty, so they were replaced as complete units.

I don't know if they're still doing that, but I don't think I'd trust those transmission knowing that they were being pulled and junked.

Nissan is on the 10th revision to that transmission and in 2006 they finally got it right. Its one of the reasons I waited until 2006 to buy a 350Z.

The SCCA T2 racers have all switched to the "09" transmission and have been able to run a full season on one transmission. Before they had to pull them after a couple weekends.

The "09" has triple cone synchros on first through third, double cones on fourth, and single on fifth and sixth. The gears themselves get an additional heat and surface treatment and assembly tolerances are tighter.

sounds like ford automatic trans.by the time they revise the parts 8 or 10 times it takes to many parts to upgrade 1st generation trans.as far as the dealer techs repairing trans-the techs dont like doing trans repair-its because %90 percent of dealers pay the techs on flat rate pay system.it takes too long to repair a trans and when you have this sinking feeling in the pit of your stomach knowing you wont get paid for that extra 2 hours that it took to make sure it works 1st time you would rather just slam a new trans in.another problem is if you fix it no you are held liable for how it works and if it comes back within the first few days after the repair you will be working on the car for free.the car companies dont pay enough on warrenty repairs and the techs get screwed.

can you get a later rebuild kit for a old transmission, or would you need to replace the gears too if you wanted the tranny to last?

As far as I know the parts do not interchage between the old trannys and the newer ones. That's why Nissan doesn't have us repair them, they can't be fixed.(I'm a Nissan Tech) Not to mention that 6 speed tranny is probably one of the most complicated trannys Nissan has every made. The guys that do the training evey say this and they know them the best. They say the biggest problem with rebuilding them is the fact the a lot of the parts can be flipped front to back and still fit just fine but wont actually work correctly.

Yeah pretty much every 2003 and a lot of 2004 350Z's will get a tranny at some point. That's how it's been at our dealership anyways.

We give our bad ones away too, I personally wouldn't pay a penny for one of those junk trannys much less $175!

Guy

How much abuse does it take to kill one of the transmissions? Or do they croak from normal usage?

They break under normal use. Usually they start grinding in 3rd, 4th, 5th, or 6th.

My service write had an 03' 350Z with a single turbo kit putting down 400RWHP/390RWTQ through a new version tranny and he never had a problem with it. Like John said, I think Nissan finally has a handle on the issue.

Guy