HybridZ

RC Flying Anyone?

cygnusx1

Yep, fly R/C. Mainly my simulator now.

What's nice about Orlando is I've seen some amazing pilots (TOC). There is a field in Apoka that has the Jets. They usually fly on Friday. It is incredilbe to watch a turbine model go by at 200MPH plus! You see it, then you don't.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought about getting into it.. I reserched and found that the easystar is a awesome plane .. electric motor,, awesome range and very controlable. There are some people who put mini cams in them and it looks really neat..

The EasyStar is great. I have a "stock" one that has over 450 flights on it. It is pretty beat up now but flew fantastic up until the day I retired it and hung it in my office at work. I got a new one with a brushless mega a few years back. It is sick. I can fly it inverted 3 ft off the ground at about 50-60! That is no big deal for most electrics but that is quite a feat for a glider with no ailerons. A few called bs on RCG, but they got the video!

Cyg, you will love the EZ Glider. The only problem is that it glides forever making it hard to land. It is very easy to overshoot your intended landing. Multiplex makes great models.

I lost count of how many planes I have. Probably 35 that are RTF and 20 waiting to be built. I haven't built one in months though. Too busy at work, kids, etc. Got wings, bipes, gliders, scale, 3D, big and small. Plus the EDF bug bit me last year. Talk about a hoot to fly. The speeds of electrics are getting up there.

Tom

• 2 months later...

A little bit of an old thread, but I came across it while searching for something and couldn't resist!

I got into RC about a year ago. I've got a scratch-built 3D foam plane with 36" wingspan, and a 450 size electric 3D Helicopter. I fly both pretty well, a little 3D on both. I'm hoping to get a nice 40" RTF balsa 3D electric monster for xmas, lol. With all this car expenditure that's about to start I might have to push RC back a few years though.

After working on the Z for so many years, I find the RC Hobby much cheaper!

Here are my planes so far. Two are flight worthy and one is under construction.

This one carries a digital camera for aerial movies and photos. I also added floats to make it a seaplane as needed. It needs a stronger motor and will be upgraded soon.

228855972-M.jpg

211264599-XL.jpg

Here is my new project. 100" wingspan glider that will climb 1000 feet per minute with the motor I am adding to it.

228856113-L.jpg

MODS: Nose cut off ready for motor mounting:

228856198-M.jpg

228856176-M.jpg

Some videos:

Maby you can train one of your mice to fly it for you!!!!!

Yeah good idea. Cheese control sticks. :mrgreen:

Nice helicopters! I can fly them in the sim and land them in one peice 5 out of 10 times, but I would not consider myself capable of flying one yet.

The foam seaplane is an Easy Glider Electric and the fiberglass one is a scale model of a Schleicher ASW-28 made by a company in China called FlyFly.

The motor I am using is a Scorpion 30mm series (looks like a hacker though). It's only 3.2oz and capable of 400 watts. That's over 1/2 a horsepower for all you fuel guys! :burnout:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Finally built and flew my GWS Slow Stick. EASY to build, and just as easy to fly. Very maneuverable, easy to land, all around excellent trainer. Hammer head stalls, inside loops in less than 10 foot circle, slow flight is at a fast walk. Huge on fun factor.

Wing span, 45 ½

Length, 39

ss2Medium.jpg

ss3Medium.jpg

Very nice! You just adding to the collection, or buying to train someone?

My dad has been learning on a slowstick. I've flown it a few times, and compared to the flat mid-wing 3D foamy I learned on it's nice and tame. Very good to learn on, as long as there is no wind to throw it around! I did find it hard to line up and land without ailerons after learning with them though!

I got an E-flite Mini-Pulse XT under-wing stunt plane for X-mas this year. Took it for its maiden flight today and was I ever surprised! I was flying without any dual rates setup, full travel, and boy was it touchy. I'm used to my slow 3D park flyer with huge control surfaces, and even with surfaces a fraction as large the speed of this new plane makes it very sensitive. I can't wait to get my throws setup and REALLY start flying it. :icon6:

EDIT: Added a pic of "The Flight Table". Shows my New Mini-Pulse, the blue foamie I built and self taught (plus lots of sim time) to fly IRL, and my Dad's slowstick.

flighttable_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Finally got some video of the Slow Stick in action. It is Hybrid of sorts, Renault F-1 V-8 conversions, seems to power it quite well, don’t you think?

*** EDIT ***

Middle Daughter Lelaina, (aka FUZZY), is credited for the videography...

• Administrators
You fly just like Kimi Raikkonen!

..but I hope you can land better.

:lmao::lmao: Compared to that, I’d like to think my R/C piloting skills be likened to “falling with style”… :lmao::lmao:

Installed the Lipo saver, and few other overhaul goodies, talked my daughter into filming another flight in the pasture. Boy is the plane a hoot to fly. This video is a short collage of just goofing around maneuvers, nothing to brag about, just having fun, (This Slow Stick is 3 channel; Rudder, Elevator, and engine speed control, NO ailerons). Some very low and slow flight, a touch of inverted, a pretty good hammer head, hanging on the prop, buzzing the tower. etc. Li-po saver kicked in at 10 minutes, 48 seconds of flight time. Video is only one minute 41 seconds…

GWS Slow Stick with Outrunner and Lipo upgrade. 46" wing span.

DSCN0373Medium.jpg

Flying1Medium.jpg

Well the new 2.5 meter ASW-28 Scale Glider needs a pilot. As a matter of fact I have been holding off sealing the cockpit because I want to glue in a pilot figure. Maybe I'll just put a mouse in there. Anyone know a taxidermist?

Braap, that LiPo really makes that slow stick fast! I am putting a LiPo into my 2.5M machine. I really like Jazz and Swing...I think it comes from growing up with Looney Tunes. Nice choice.