HybridZ

singleturbo carbed 320hp l28, looks easy please look!

hondabait

people that build draw through carb setups really need to read 'Maximum Boost'.

And then switch over to a blow through.

and be like everyone else that does carb'd turbo. I know efi is easier and better, gets more power. And blow through my turbo will last longer, but pressurized carbs? and fuel pressure regulation? no thanks. Good book though.

Another question, Has anyone done draw through with dual webers? i am wondering on the design or where to purchase of the mount for the carbs that adapts to the turbo, like this(excuse my crude drawings please) or

http://www.vwtrendsweb.com/tech/0211vwt_turbo_volkswagens/photo_12.html, like this except for dual weber

weberintakeac8.th.jpg

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i've herd a lot of negative things about blow through systems. plus i don't think you can have a stock holley, edelbrock, or any carb at that being used in a blow through system. if it were so easy and drivable you would see a lot of people doing it.

i use to have a four barrle conversion on my l26 and it did about 15 miles per gallon average. i don't even want to think how bad it would be if i had a turbo in addition to that humungus 4 barrel carburetor.

if any one is thinking about doing anything with a turbo you should first read my favorite book: maximum boost.:2thumbs:

just my two cents

and be like everyone else that does carb'd turbo. I know efi is easier and better, gets more power. And blow through my turbo will last longer, but pressurized carbs? and fuel pressure regulation? no thanks. Good book though.

Yah, because blown carb setups are common. Most people just slap on a P90 and go with EFI.

As for blow through with downdraft carbs, I think the primary problem with them, and why you don't see people doing it is the issue is clearance with the hood of the Z. There really isn't alot of space above the intakes, and a downdraft will take some of that up, and a bend for the actual intake will be even more.

If you want to do a draw through supertip, best of luck to you, but I need my Z to be drivable in below freezing weather as well, since it is my *only* car, and it gets cold here int he central valley of CA.

Another question, Has anyone done draw through with dual webers? i am wondering on the design or where to purchase of the mount for the carbs that adapts to the turbo, like this(excuse my crude drawings please) or

http://www.vwtrendsweb.com/tech/0211vwt_turbo_volkswagens/photo_12.html, like this except for dual weber

weberintakeac8.th.jpg

Found this in my picture archive. (The picture is not mine and belongs to Dave Smith). I thought this might give you some ideas about adding a weber to your turbo engine.:idea:

240Z turbo_thumb.JPG

Fully 9 of the photos on that linked page are mine, taken and published by me and not a single credit given...

Every time that site shows up, it still irks me. Common courtesy would be to show sourcing of the photos at least. Or say the photos were all stolen...something is better than nothing.

Say what? All Hondabelt did was post a link back to another web page. If you want credit for having created that web page I suggest you amend the content to claim the credit. I do understand why you would want credit as there is a wealth of good information there and some good pics too.

i've herd a lot of negative things about blow through systems. plus i don't think you can have a stock holley, edelbrock, or any carb at that being used in a blow through system. if it were so easy and drivable you would see a lot of people doing it.

i use to have a four barrle conversion on my l26 and it did about 15 miles per gallon average. i don't even want to think how bad it would be if i had a turbo in addition to that humungus 4 barrel carburetor.

if any one is thinking about doing anything with a turbo you should first read my favorite book: maximum boost.:2thumbs:

just my two cents

probably you guys haven't visited www.turbomustangs.com

lots and lots of carb blowthru setup and information

some rides with 1000+ hp

Say what? All Hondabelt did was post a link back to another web page. If you want credit for having created that web page I suggest you amend the content to claim the credit. I do understand why you would want credit as there is a wealth of good information there and some good pics too.

Tony didn't create that web page... fyi.

Supertip,

That manifold adapter that Dave has on his engine was a 'one of' built by a mechanical engineer who designed the manifold himself when the car was still his.

The weber adapter doesn't look too special. Fairly easy to knock up if you have the time, talent or money to get it done for you.

Cheers.:-)

Supertip,

The looped line looks like it might be connected to a blow off valve?

The other one is probably for the brake booster, we drive on the other side of the road down here, same as the UK.

One line attaches to the weber manifold adapter, which is a water injection line, needed because this setup can't be intercooled conventionally. The other one is an oil feed line to the turbo. Unlike an EFI engine, this is super simplesetup and probably reasonably effective!

I hope this helps you out a little.

Cheers. :-)

Supertip,

You're right, it seems dumb to be running a BOV because of venting air and fuel into a very hot area with the exhaust housing being so close. Option 2: wastegate! (maybe and perhaps more likely).

The hoses? I think that has them all covered, dunno what else they could be attached to.

Cheers.;)

Supertip,

That 'round thing' with the wire coming from it on top of the intake manifold closest the distributor is a Hobbs switch, used to activate the water injection when the turbo spools and boosts the engine above atmospheric. I've had a few on my old engine, and they're adjustable. You can set at what boost pressure things are turned on and off. Handy little buggars!

I don't get what you mean by recirculating BOV....from where to where?? The plumbing that I can see in the photo doesn't look that complex. I'll try and look for another photo of that engine from another angle to see if "All can be revealed"

Stay tuned!

Cheers! :-)

i have read maximum boost, corky is a smart guy but i wanted to do a draw through, and it works fine. I still havent driven the skyline much but when the engine was in my 280z it ran 12.79 in denver without the nitrious, i dont know what that is at sea level but it felt pretty fast. i wouldnt do it to a daily driver. the intake manifold is a stock non turbo that was cut up and welded. the carb sits on top of a homemade plenum that feeds right into the turbo. kind of simple but kind of a pain in the ass.