HybridZ

Getting the air filter to fit in the engine bay

chrism

I've been reading several post with people asking how to get the air filter to fit inside the bay and not have to run more piping through the radiator support. This is what I did to keep from having to carve up the support and keep the Z a little bit more intact.

One thing that I promised myself when starting the project was to not cut gaping holes all over the place to get things to fit. Man was that a job.

In these pictures you can see that the air filter sits flat. It is located between the intercooler piping and the radiator. There is nothing blocking the sides of the filter and when the hood is closed I have about 2 inches above the filter. Works great.

It might not be the best location for maximum performance but I’m not trying to be the fastest car on the road. Just want to have fun with it.

Take a look.:-D

RB20AIRINTAKE004.jpg

RB20AIRINTAKE003.jpg

RB20AIRINTAKE002.jpg

RB20AIRINTAKE001.jpg

Thanks.

Still have a lot of wire cleanup to do.

Also installed a Honda civic charcoal filter under the driver side flap in front of the master cylinder. It’s small and out of the way and this location places it next to where the vacuum lines come from the RB Intake

That makes more room for my Sard fuel regulator to mount on the passenger side clost to the fuel rail.

The fan pulls all the air. The cover is space about a half inch away from the fins. Hard to see in the picture. When the fan kicks on, you can feel a lot of air flow. It really pulls hard.

Also, this is just a little RB20. I don't think it is going to be a problem for the double pass radiator to keep things cool.

Thanks,

Still cleaning up the old wiring. I just got done pulling out all the old starter wires, relays, coil wiring, distributor wiring. I was thinking about putting a manual boost controller in the center console storage compartment so that when you open up the compartment between the seats, you will only see the knob sticking out from the side.

I have to hook it up outside and see how loud it is first. If it is quiet somewhat, then that should be a good location