HybridZ

What are the common misnomers ppl use?

TheNeedForZ

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PIN number. Same as VIN number, ATM machine, etc.

How about degrees Kelvin or with au jus?

Or an alarm "goes off" when it's really going ON. Well, that might be like when cells multiply or divide, they're doing the same thing.

What gets me is trying to explain slang terms to a non-native english speaker. I've had to explain "pretty ugly". They're thinking well...is it pretty or is it ugly? and how can it be both? lol.

How about "funner", or "funnest"?

People who run "Nitro" in street racers? Last time I checked they were using Nitrous Oxide. Nitro has meant Nitrous Methane. Of course I may not be able to distinguish between a top fueler and a riced out Prelude.

The one that makes me really crazy, "110%" There is no such thing.

Guest da-man (is not!)
Da-man,

Below is a link that is the perfect opportunity for you to argue that point;

Click ME for the "freeze plug" argument currently in progress...

Good luck…. wink.gif

Wow... to quote our good friend Memphis Raines in "Gone in 60 Seconds"... "You guys said alot!"

I skimmed, glanced, read, etc, through most of that thread just now... and what I didn't see was anyone who could dispute the fact that the automotive (and mechanical) industry for the last century plus has called them Freeze plugs.

What I DID see was (to quote the same movie) "too many self-indulgent wieners" who really think that they are smarter than everyone else......

The fact is that whether you LIKE it or not, those plugs have saved A LOT OF BLOCKS from freezing. And whether you like it or not, since the dawn of Iron Blocks being used in combustion engines, they've been called "Freeze Plugs". And whether you like it or not, those with some familiarity in the casting process will tell you that the sand will drain from 1-hole mid-block as well as it will drain from 4-holes mid block. (the same cannot be said of it's use as a freeze plug)

so: now you all wanna go and say that all of the generations before us, the Smokey Uniks of the world, the Carrol Shelby's, the (insert name here) of the past, suddenly didn't know what they were talking about? That because YOU think they should be called something different (even if you were 100% correct in your logic) then they SHOULD be?

what else should we change, while we're at it? Maybe France should be called Francis? Would that make more sense to you? I mean, since it is YOU who gets to decide, right? (well, you and the collective of others here who think they can change it all based on their own reasoning)

Wow... to quote our good friend Memphis Raines in "Gone in 60 Seconds"... "You guys said alot!"

I skimmed, glanced, read, etc, through most of that thread just now... and what I didn't see was anyone who could dispute the fact that the automotive (and mechanical) industry for the last century plus has called them Freeze plugs.

What I DID see was (to quote the same movie) "too many self-indulgent wieners" who really think that they are smarter than everyone else......

The fact is that whether you LIKE it or not, those plugs have saved A LOT OF BLOCKS from freezing. And whether you like it or not, since the dawn of Iron Blocks being used in combustion engines, they've been called "Freeze Plugs". And whether you like it or not, those with some familiarity in the casting process will tell you that the sand will drain from 1-hole mid-block as well as it will drain from 4-holes mid block. (the same cannot be said of it's use as a freeze plug)

so: now you all wanna go and say that all of the generations before us, the Smokey Uniks of the world, the Carrol Shelby's, the (insert name here) of the past, suddenly didn't know what they were talking about? That because YOU think they should be called something different (even if you were 100% correct in your logic) then they SHOULD be?

what else should we change, while we're at it? Maybe France should be called Francis? Would that make more sense to you? I mean, since it is YOU who gets to decide, right? (well, you and the collective of others here who think they can change it all based on their own reasoning)

i hope you were joking from this post, 'cause i got some laughs out of it.

• Administrators
and whether you like it or not, those with some familiarity in the casting process will tell you that the sand will drain from 1-hole mid-block as well as it will drain from 4-holes mid block. (the same cannot be said of it's use as a freeze plug)

Curious, why do you suppose there is a 'freeze plug' in the intake manifold?

hintzmanifoldb.jpg

• Administrators
Curious, why do you suppose there is a 'freeze plug' in the intake manifold?

hintzmanifoldb.jpg

That plug is to protect the Fuel Injection Manifold from cracking during Carburetor icing, duh!.......

Or is that where they supported the mold during the casting process?...

• Administrators

Da-man,

WOW! Such an attitude towards the "self indulgent Ball Park franks" among us.. tsk tsk… Or are we Oscar Meyers?...

It is quite apparent that you did NOT read it thoroughly. shrug.gif

Please enlighten us all with your expert knowledge on this subject and argue your finer points IN that thread? It may behoove you to actually read that thread first…

Quote of the day... :lmao::lmao::lmao:

…. The fact is that whether you LIKE it or not, those plugs have saved A LOT OF BLOCKS from freezing….

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

…. what else should we change, while we're at it? Maybe France should be called Francis? Would that make more sense to you? I mean, since it is YOU who gets to decide, right? (well, you and the collective of others here who think they can change it all based on their own reasoning)

Careful now.. Those are some pretty bold statements considering the company you are in….

Guest da-man (is not!)
i hope you were joking from this post, 'cause i got some laughs out of it.

wow! Actually, I was not..... but after reading my post again, all I can say is:

WOW! I SURE CAN BE AN ASS !!!!:flamedevi

sorry. I was just typing.... fully unaware of how that would sound.

and I'm glad it could bring abit of humor.....

I'll quietly go my own way now......:burnout:

wow! Actually, I was not..... but after reading my post again, all I can say is:

WOW! I SURE CAN BE AN ASS !!!!:flamedevi

sorry. I was just typing.... fully unaware of how that would sound.

and I'm glad it could bring abit of humor.....

I'll quietly go my own way now......:burnout:

It's great to see humility now and then. You will go far on this site!