HybridZ

Brake cooling ducts...

I am looking at doing a setup on my car for the track. Looked thru the past threads and only one I could find was back in 2004 by DavidK but his pics are not there anymore.

Does anyone have pics of there setup? I have an idea on how I am going to use naca ducts with my front spoiler but not sure on how to secure around wheel and rotor area.

Must race cars use a plate with a round cylinder welded on it to secure hose but am looking for an easier way to secure.

Trying to get by w/o upgrading to vented rotors, right now using Toyo non-vented and disc upgrade from 280ZX on rear.

I am looking at doing a setup on my car for the track. Looked thru the past threads and only one I could find was back in 2004 by DavidK but his pics are not there anymore.

Does anyone have pics of there setup? I have an idea on how I am going to use naca ducts with my front spoiler but not sure on how to secure around wheel and rotor area.

Must race cars use a plate with a round cylinder welded on it to secure hose but am looking for an easier way to secure.

Trying to get by w/o upgrading to vented rotors, right now using Toyo non-vented and disc upgrade from 280ZX on rear.

I have some Jag brake cooling ducts if you are interested. I will post up some pics.

• 5 months later...

The new air dam I ordered has brake cooling ducts cut in it, but they don't tapir into a round hole (not that I was expecting them to or anything). What would be the best way to go about modifying them to accept the hoses? Something ghetto like shoe-gooing the top half of a 20oz pepsi bottle around the outside of the little flange on the air dam would most likely work, but I'm looking for a slightly cleaner approach. I've looked elsewhere for this info and come up empty handed, so I figured I would go night of the living thread on this old thing. Thanks for the help, guys.

What racing class?

There's several threads and some pics over at improvedtouring.com in the nissan forum. Air dam proly isn't a good location for NACA ducts. PM me and I can send you some pictures of what we used in ITS.

Is brake cooling air primarilly used for vented rotors? I ask because the air is vented to the hub portion of the rotor where the rotor vents pick it up and vents it out to the circumference of the rotor (thus cooling the entire rotor). A non-vented rotor would simply have cool (supposedly) air blown onto one side only, which to me would/could cause some issues of one side of the rotor being a different temperature from the other side of the same rotor. Would this cause the rotor to distort into a very slight concave/convex shape in a worse case scenario?

I understand what you're saying, but I don't think it would have any negative effect on the expansion of the material.

Most vehicles have a shield on the inside of the rotor, which must hinder cooling.

Edited to add.. okay, my car doesn't have the shields.

sti11107002cj8.jpg