HybridZ

Had to do it!! Twin Turbo 454/240Z :o)

WOW! Super stuff Jerry. I find it's a whole new ball game...not necessarily rocket science, but I am certainly paying attention to the details. RIP has been over to the Albany track a couple of times and I blame him and Hahns for my turbo fetish. It will be a while before I get mine together also..still experimenting with nitrous. I am still up in the air about cam selection, suggestions are always welcome. I am trying to be conservative as I still drive mine on the street. Will be great to hear the SC connection passing gas during the burn-out! :o)

Wayne

Hello Wayne,

The camshaft selection, well since I tore mine up I called all the camshaft people and found that CompCams 1-800-999-0853 ext 516 Name of tech is Brock was the most helpful. I bought my new solid roller billet cam from BDS since they are the blower people. The only thing I could not get done was the 4/7 swap using BDS because they use Isky cams and my particular grind was not Molded yet for the 4/7 swap.

I would call Brock above and chew the fat with him, very nice and knowledgable guy. Then if it is a Turbo cam you want then talk to the turbo people after talking to Brock. If it is a NOS cam then get it from CompCams.

My dealings were a NOS cam is almost identical to a Supercharger / Turbo cam except for the centerline. Comp cams reccomended a 114 and BDS said a 110 centerline because it helps cool the blower?

My new cam specs are as follows, they classify it as a stage 5, in a 1 - 5 scale. 318 intake 322 exhaust ( @50 is 274/285 ) 672 / 672 lift with 1.6 rockers.

Comp Cams specs were 258 intake / 270 exhaust @50 and 672 / 672 lift with 1.6 rockers and center line of 114.

Hope this helps you.

John

WOW! Super stuff Jerry. I find it's a whole new ball game...not necessarily rocket science, but I am certainly paying attention to the details. RIP has been over to the Albany track a couple of times and I blame him and Hahns for my turbo fetish. It will be a while before I get mine together also..still experimenting with nitrous. I am still up in the air about cam selection, suggestions are always welcome. I am trying to be conservative as I still drive mine on the street. Will be great to hear the SC connection passing gas during the burn-out! :o)

Wayne

Many thanks, Hanns I sure appreciate. What lift and rocker ratio are you using? Roller or flat tappet?

The cam in the car right now is a naturally aspirated, solid roller with the following specs:

Open Close

Int 12 btdc 56 abdc

Exh 59 bbdc 15 atdc

Intake Exhaust

Dur@.050 248 254

Lobe Sep is 112 degrees.

Lift is 616 intake and 622 exhaust with 1.6 rockers

Wayne

Sweet project. Where are the pictures again? :P

One thing you said I would like to bring up, you said basically that it's better to have too small of a turbo rather than too large of a turbo on the street. That might be true to a point but if you really have too small of a turbo then you'll be getting into boost cruising and that's not desirable I don't think. Maybe you weren't talking about that small.

You are exactly correct, 280Z.....to clarify, I was thinking I would start restricting with these turbo's around 6K and I don't want that, that is why I said they were on the verge of being too small...actually, I re-looked and they are .98 AR vice .96 so I think not so small they will be into boost at too low an RPM. We'll see, however, and I will sell them to you and get bigger ones, eh? :o) Thanks for the kudo's and comments...no pics yet as I haven't begun the work and won't until probably the beginning of next year. I will post as I go at that time.

Wayne

Thanks for the confirmation, John...looks like we can blame all this stuff on Rip, eh? Sounds like y'all have your hands full with projects. Best of luck to you.

Many thanks, Turbomeister...you just confirmed a couple of things for me and I think I will need to go with the 370's (or higher) gears as I want to keep the rpm's down in the 6K to 6.5K range. I believe this thing will put out enough torque to handle those gears easily even though I weigh in at 2890. Yes, 13.5 inches of rubber on each side....I just need to figure out how the 10.5 guys are hooking while running 7's in the quarter and adjust accordingly.

Wayne

Wayne, I picked up the new turbo on Wednesday. John is going to post some pictures later today. In one of the pictures it shows the new next to one of the turbos that Rip gave (Thanks again to Rip).

Jerry

WHOOOOEEEEE! Jerry! That is sweet! What a difference! Are you going to run twins or one? I can't quite read the writing on the new one...looks like a pretty big T04. Can't wait to see it when you get it together. Great stuff!

That Mustang is a heck-of-a grocery getter! I know the feeling...although mine looks like junk, it sure turns heads when I pull up to the parts store (or anywhere else, for that matter) I may get way too anxious and start putting the banks system together sooner than later. H-m-m-m-m-m

Wayne

WHOOOOEEEEE! Jerry! That is sweet! What a difference! Are you going to run twins or one? I can't quite read the writing on the new one...looks like a pretty big T04. Can't wait to see it when you get it together. Great stuff!

That Mustang is a heck-of-a grocery getter! I know the feeling...although mine looks like junk, it sure turns heads when I pull up to the parts store (or anywhere else, for that matter) I may get way too anxious and start putting the banks system together sooner than later. H-m-m-m-m-m

Wayne

Wayne, I have been talking with Chris about the turbo setup, I am planning on running the twin setup for now, but that might change.The big turbo is a 76mm where the small one seems to be a 55mm. Chris's mustang was running a single 88 mm turbo and has been 8.o's with the car at required weight for the Drag Radial class, I think it is 3400#. I will be taking the block I am using for the turbo to the machine shop on Tuesday, and I hope he will be finished with my heads for the NOS motor, so I can finish putting that motor together and try it in the Z car. Keep me and John posted on your progress. Jerry

Dang it GUYS, I am going to have to start shopping for a larger turbo to even try to keep up with you all!!!

I can't wait to see these projects take shape... ;)

Mike, I hope everything is going well.I thought your were already running a 76mm turbo? How is your car running? When you had your roll cage certified did you have to make any changes? John and I are going to start our new cage over the Holidays. I ordered a 12 point cage from Comp Engineering, and are looking for any advice you could offer. Thanks Jerry

Mike, I hope everything is going well.I thought your were already running a 76mm turbo? How is your car running? When you had your roll cage certified did you have to make any changes? John and I are going to start our new cage over the Holidays. I ordered a 12 point cage from Comp Engineering, and are looking for any advice you could offer. Thanks Jerry

Hi Jerry,

I am running a 76mm, but I am considering an 88mm...

Regarding the cage, mine went through inspection with flying colors. Just make sure you have the right size plates to weld the tubing to (I don't remember what the required size is), and also make sure the tubing is the correct thickness for the cage cert you want.

As far as my car, I am battling a gremlin that has had me perplexed for over 2 months now. I have been through the turbo, the wastegate, the tranny and converter, intake, piping, couplers, intercooler, injectors and still don't have an answer to what is going on. Once I build boost, the car just noses over. It happened at the track back in August. I make a couple of normal passes, then the 3rd pass, the car nosed over and went 20+mph slower and 1+ second slower and I haven't been able to figure out the problem since. I don't want to clutter up this thread, so i'll stop there. I'll eventually get it figured out, hopefully in the next couple of weeks. It is going into prime track weather here in Orlando!! Cool and dry...

Hi Jerry,

I am running a 76mm, but I am considering an 88mm...

Regarding the cage, mine went through inspection with flying colors. Just make sure you have the right size plates to weld the tubing to (I don't remember what the required size is), and also make sure the tubing is the correct thickness for the cage cert you want.

As far as my car, I am battling a gremlin that has had me perplexed for over 2 months now. I have been through the turbo, the wastegate, the tranny and converter, intake, piping, couplers, intercooler, injectors and still don't have an answer to what is going on. Once I build boost, the car just noses over. It happened at the track back in August. I make a couple of normal passes, then the 3rd pass, the car nosed over and went 20+mph slower and 1+ second slower and I haven't been able to figure out the problem since. I don't want to clutter up this thread, so i'll stop there. I'll eventually get it figured out, hopefully in the next couple of weeks. It is going into prime track weather here in Orlando!! Cool and dry...

Good luck on getting rid of the Gremlins,Jerry

• 7 months later...

Any news on the turbo V8 240z?

I'm trying to find info or links to V8 240z that are in the 8s or quicker, street or full drag.

Its always good to see what others are doing, we are making a few changes as well and hoping to get below 8.50 before long.

Any info or links greatly apreciated.

Rob

when you get the car running correctly how about posting ALL the details with pictures like the turbo part numbers, injector sizes, compression ratio,what cylinder heads,intake,carb or throttle body, cam, tire size, trans stall, rear gear ratio, BORE AND STROKE, CRANK AND RODS AND PISTON PART NUMBERS etc.

BE nice theres an old guy that might just want that info for his BBC CORVETTE