HybridZ

Welding Class - Final Project - L Intake Manifold

it is possible to tune each cylinder w a very sophisticated FMS and individual EGT probes after EACH cylinder... much like high performance aircraft use.

So I guess megasquirt wouldn't count as "very sophisticated" by that definition. :P

That would be pretty crazy, since I guess along with EGT probes you would have to have fuel maps for each cylinder. Talk about some programming.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You run lean in #6 because its getting too much air, not too little.

I think what happens is the air has inertia in flowing that makes it harder for it to make the right angle turn on the way down the plenum, but easier after its already stationary after hitting the end near 6.

Also, as air increases in temperature, so too does the increase in particle excitation, and hence the speed at which pressure equalizes, as indicated by an increase in the speed of sound. This is likely to affect your ram-effect RPM range. Here is a potentially handy calculator: http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-speedsound.htm

Regards,

Dave

You run lean in #6 because its getting too much air, not too little.

I think what happens is the air has inertia in flowing that makes it harder for it to make the right angle turn on the way down the plenum, but easier after its already stationary after hitting the end near 6.

Also, as air increases in temperature, so too does the increase in particle excitation, and hence the speed at which pressure equalizes, as indicated by an increase in the speed of sound. This is likely to affect your ram-effect RPM range. Here is a potentially handy calculator: http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-speedsound.htm

Regards,

Dave

Dave hit the nail on the head from what I have heard.

Sweet, just checking. Did you account for increased SoS with pressurized air charge when calculating runner length/harmonic rebound/ram-effect rpm range?

Probably not much that can be done about it now, will be interesting to see if there is any noticable power peaks at or above your predicted rpm range. :)

Dave

no the calculator I used was based on a standard temp... (59* F 29.92 in. hg)

here are some more pics of the manifold!

I found those hoses for a total of $70 for all 6 cylinders! MUCH cheaper then I had planned.

Yes its ugly and definitely detracts from visual aesthetics =( kinda bummed about that.. but if I want it pretty I have to spend $210 on aluminum u-bends.

34316415287.jpg

34316415228.jpg

I've been following this thread from the start with the idea of making an intake manifold with long curvy runners that go OVER the head and put the intake manifold on the right side of the car - allowing for more room for the turbo - cleaner intercooler routings - longer runners (smaller pulse number) - less manifold heatsink - and ???. Lord knows there is PLENTY of room on the right side of S30 engine bays! There would have to be room for the fuel rail to fit in there, hood clearance may be a problem, and I'd want to switch to COP ignition to get the spark plug wires out of the way. Does anybody have any opinions on this idea - or am I on crack?

FYI - I started this whole idea by seeing what PROX has done... and I've started to concept up my steel weld el tubular equal length turbo exhaust manifold - not a lot of room under the current manifold to maneuver the tubes around for sure.

I would like to do a base dyno run.. then install the new manifold.. and do another run just for kicks.

TeamNissan.. what do you mean by TBS? do you mean TPS (throttle position sensor)? If so I am using the 240sx tps, or using the stock TPS on the GSXR throttle bodies.. and I will match it up with megasquirt... hopefully

Guest TeamNissan
I would like to do a base dyno run.. then install the new manifold.. and do another run just for kicks.

TeamNissan.. what do you mean by TBS? do you mean TPS (throttle position sensor)? If so I am using the 240sx tps, or using the stock TPS on the GSXR throttle bodies.. and I will match it up with megasquirt... hopefully

By tbs I mean throttle bodies. They kind of look like those dcoe tb's they sell, so I wasn't sure.

I can't wait to see how it compares to stock.