HybridZ

280z Turbo Conversion

I have a 78 280z that I am currently restoring. I want to make it quicker, so I am looking into the option of turboing the stock L28 (boost should work due to the L28's 8.3:1 CR and dished pistons). I know everyone says its easier to buy a complete L28ET and swap it in, but I don't have that option since there are no junkyards or donor cars anywhere near me. So, I will purchase the parts to do a conversion...

280zxt exhaust manifold

280zxt turbo with wastegate and downpipe

280zxt oil line to turbo and J-pipe

280zxt oil pan and oil pump pick up tube

Megasquirt

(???) cc injectors

Intercooler

I have a few questions about my plans before I start buying anything though.

1. Will Megasquirt alone be able to control my setup?

2. How much do these parts usually run for (assuming I cannot source them from a junkyard)?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

For the turbo oil feed line, don't use an old one, you never know what's in it. Instead of buying a new stock one from MSA (~$55), make one out of -4 AN braided line and the appropriate fittings. There are a few threads floating around on this.

As for turbo-ing a N/A engine, I turbo'd my L24 (8.8:1 comp ratio) and at stock boost I don't have any detonation problems, even without an intercooler in the heat of the az summer. I'm not saying don't buy an intercooler, as that's high on my list of things to do to my car, but you won't have a problem, as long as you keep your fuel and spark maps in order.

I concur with Cygnus, I wouldn't go messing around with megasquirt's boost control just yet. It's still in the experimental stage.

+TURBO emblems are a must. Wont run right without them.

+1. I'm down a good 10hp without any emblems on my car yet.

pallnet is where i got my o-ring fuel rail, you will need the injector clips from the supra as well. I think that the chances of finding one supra is better than finding 2 FI RX7's in the junkyard tho...with the supra you will have all 6 right there. but the rx7 only has 4 injectors i think...getting 6 might be harder...

DSM's are 440 and very abundant. I went with EVO injectors since there are a lot floating around recently with the EVO mod craze. They are 560's and have an up-to-date spray pattern, etc.

Oh, and ply that search function. Check the stickies. There are a lot of threads. Search for Holset.