HybridZ

making flare mold and flares

jpuga

hey jpuga.

flares are lookin good =)

surprised i didn't see this thread already. I'm going to be making similar flares, if it works for you, let me know what problems you ran into with the design.

thanks, the only snag is that i dont know if the smaller 240z bumper will clear the rear of the flairs. i cant check that because i dont have them yet. but as the process its going good i really havent got much done beuse i have been really busy lately but this weekend i should have all 4 done and pics should be uploded soon.

Oh boy, more confusion, LOL. If I make the parts using polyester resin is it alright to then add a final coat of epoxy resin over top of that? I assume then I would not need the curing agent, is that correct?

I'm not too sure on that. I have never mixed different resin systems. On a cured part, it souldn't be a problem. I've fixed parts that were originally made with Polyester, with epoxy, and all worked out well. I would bet that epoxy on Polyester would work. Your best bet would be to do a small test, preferably not on your part, just a scrap.

I'm not too sure on that. I have never mixed different resin systems. On a cured part, it souldn't be a problem. I've fixed parts that were originally made with Polyester, with epoxy, and all worked out well. I would bet that epoxy on Polyester would work. Your best bet would be to do a small test, preferably not on your part, just a scrap.

Thanks, test parts for sure.

I did nearly the entire 240 body with floral foam. Terry helped me out greatly with the how-to and to help others in the future I put a writeup on my website.

http://www.geocities.com/boodlefoof/Project_Racer-Zfiberglass.html

dude thats insane, but looks good. i tried the hot glue gun for the foam and its much better than the spray adhesive and yes the tape makes you see the somewhat finished product i should be done shaping everything today or tomorrow. i will post more pics. im intrested in seeing more in your project keep it up.

Say where di ya get the floral foam at . Ive tried places hobby shops florists and such with no luck . I even show it to them in flower pots with fake flowers and they go duh no idea

I saw it at the dollar tree store, last week.

how much is floral foam anyways?

$1 for a 4" x 3" x 6" block

John,

Any more progress than this: http://www.geocities.com/boodlefoof/Project_Racer-Zfiberglass6.html

Going to be one interesting car!

Dave

Thank you Dave!

I took a break from the body work to turn back to the suspension/chassis/drivetrain. So, the body looks about the same at this point. Now the suspension is basically done. The frame is also done except for the cage. I also have the engine and trans mounted. I've kind of stalled at the moment though. Since my son was born, I've spent most of my free time just enjoying his company.

thanks, the only snag is that i dont know if the smaller 240z bumper will clear the rear of the flairs. i cant check that because i dont have them yet. but as the process its going good i really havent got much done beuse i have been really busy lately but this weekend i should have all 4 done and pics should be uploded soon.

Nice pics, the flares look a lot like what I had in mind :D

Heck, since you're doing such a great job on the flares, go a head and mold some styrofoam and build yourself a nice front bumper =)

:icon14:

• 2 months later...

sorry guys... i have not finished the flares yet. i only have 3 of them done and also my computer went to s!?t so i havent been able to post anything. well as i said i only have 3 of them done i have not been able to work on my car i will get back to you guys soon on the flares i hope they come out looking good or ill be somewhat disapointed.

• 3 years later...