HybridZ

Need more vacuum for power brakes

My motor creates very little vacuum at idle so my breaks suck. I have messed with a vacuum canister but didn't like it. I've heard of adding an electric vacuum pump to boost the vacuum. Anybody got any input or cost effective solutions?

Thanks

Jeff

My motor creates very little vacuum at idle so my breaks suck. I have messed with a vacuum canister but didn't like it. I've heard of adding an electric vacuum pump to boost the vacuum. Anybody got any input or cost effective solutions?

Thanks

Jeff

I had the same issue with my L6 - I ended up going with a vacuum pump pretty much identical to this one on ebay.

Also, there is the Stainless Steel Brakes pump, which is a bit pricey,

...and then there is this recent HybridZ post:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Delco-12-Volt-Electric-Vacuum-Pump-Hot-Rod-Electric_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ42605QQihZ004QQitemZ140173807817QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

A vacuum can works well too. I ran one on my 73 Z28 pulling 8 inches at 1200 rpms. It made the car streetable...well, at least the power brakes worked.

I don't like the vacuum can because after hitting the breaks, my motor stumbles for a few seconds while it experiences the big vacuum leak of re-filling the can.

I've got the same problem, and have been wondering about the vacuum pump off a Z31 Turbo. Someone told me it's an electric unit that is mounted under the front of the car, but I don't have any clear info yet.

Wander around on z31.com (and be sure the SEARCH a lot before you ask any questions!)

The 1981-84 Maxima Diesel had a vacuum pump that ran off the alternator. It bolted to the back of the alternator and the pulley shaft was extended all the way through the alternator housing.

This alternator/vacuum pump will bolt up the L-series engine, but requires an oil feed line and a return line to the sump.

Hey HICKL,

We had the same issue with the blower setup we run. We purchased a inline check valve and installed it about 5 inches from the brake booster. What little bit of vacuum we were pulling would be stored by the check valve, line and brake booster. But yet again we are mainly drag race only.

John

I too have had the same problem but installed a Stainless Steel vacuum kit I picked up off Ebay for 150 bucks. We tried the junk yard variety and most sucked ass, did work but not for long.

Maybe they sat in a junk yard too long! Either way the vacuum pump works wonders as I only make 5-7" of vacuum at idle with it in gear and that would not have cut it!