HybridZ

17 inch rims mess up speedometer

Hey everyone!

i was wondering, i read in a post that putting 17's on a 240z will set the speedometer off, is there any way to fix this problem? also, i know this is a common question, but i have not seen this exact situation:

i have 17x7.5 rims with a 44mm offset. putting a 2inch spacer/adapter, will this fit inside the wheel well without flares, i think it should be fine, because the width isnt too much. any help is appreciated

thanks

Its the overall diameter of the tire that matters, not the wheel size. You can use this site http://www.bigcustomwheels.com/rt_specs.jsp to calculate what tire you need to end up the same as the stock 240Z tire diameter. I'm running 215/50/17 on 17x7 wheels which gives me a 25.5" tire diameter.

Hey everyone!

i was wondering, i read in a post that putting 17's on a 240z will set the speedometer off, is there any way to fix this problem? also, i know this is a common question, but i have not seen this exact situation:

i have 17x7.5 rims with a 44mm offset. putting a 2inch spacer/adapter, will this fit inside the wheel well without flares, i think it should be fine, because the width isnt too much. any help is appreciated

thanks

You'll need to calculate the difference in height between the new tire size and the OEM tire size. The ratio between those two will determine which speedometer gear you will need to install. A 10% taller tire will require roughly) 10% less teeth on the speedo cable gear. I've never had to make the correction, but I believe that in some situations, the gear on the mainshaft must be changed as well.

Wheels will be close. You'll have a 7mm offset when all is said and done on a wheel that is 8.5" wide. On an OEM set-up, my experience has been a zero offset on an 9" wide wheel provided little margin on either side. Your larger tire may rub the front fender opening while turning if you've got too large a tire as well.

Lastly, there are several strings dealing with the "fit" issue of countless wheels and tires. A search should give you all the info you need.