HybridZ

GOOSE HORN coming from the engine.. WTF

alot of ya guys know.. im not mechanically inclined or stupid..

but this has baffled me.

I did a quick run of boost down the street and all of a sudden ive been hearing a loud loud sound similar to a goose call screaming from my engine.

I checked the belts.. and the vacuum lines.. at idle its screaming.. when I rev the RPM's the sound increases and sounds like a balloon deflating (squeeling).. goes from loud to slowly "running out of air" the steady scream.

I had a similar problem when I ran the valve cover breather and PCV to the intake after I did all my mods and turbo swap... only on DECEL.. i was thinking maybe it was the valve cover gasket. i just run them open now

any idea's guys?!

you know I was thinking the blow off valve.. but I doubt it would be stuck open.. hmmm. ill check it out in a few min and try to put my ear up to it.

and its such a weird noise.. no bov would make that

this is also vacuum dependant. an increase in Vacuum increases the noise. Idle is 12 in . hg. cruise or decel is like 20in. hg. Decel is the loudest

I've narrowed down where the noise is coming from..

Somewhere in the area of Cylinder 1, the thermostat and the distributer.

Now the noise is a squeeling noise(letting air out of a balloon with a pinched valve) and is related to only vacuum. The greater the vacuum, the louder and higher pitched the noise is. Also.. this will only make the noise when HOT. the engine will not do this cold or warm.. only fully warmed up or hot.

Could this be a thermostat??

maybe your intake manifold gasket blew out, could be the injector seal. I doubt the manifold cracked though. If it's happening under vacuum it has to be coming from somewhere between the TB and the intake ports.

I'm curious to see what it turns out to be. I don't want any geese in my engine bay.

There is no condensation =(

I do have a bad gasket.. damn exhaust bolts loosen over time and started leaking.. I need to replace it.

Maybe thats the problem.. but this noise.. oh man oh man. it hurts its so loud.

What i cant seem to conclude is if its the gasket.. what does it have to do with relation to heat?!

Could the heat relation be something expanding as it warms up, causing a leak?

With the comment about the squealing and under vacuum, I am thinking of vacuum being drawn across a gasket somewhere.

As a kid, I was shown how to make an obnoxious squeal with a folded piece of grass or paper that you could blow across.

Could this be happening in your intake system somewhere?

is the car running any different than usual?

a bad alternator bearing can make all kinds of noises and can fool you from where the noise is coming from.

take a long screwdriver, rest the handle against your ear and the blade end on the alt or anything you want th check. you will hear the prob if there is 1

What i cant seem to conclude is if its the gasket.. what does it have to do with relation to heat?!

two different metals, say aluminum vs. cast iron expand at different rates. So, there may not be a big enough gap between the exhaust and the head, until your engine heats up and then there is enough gap to make a noise.

but that doesn't necessarily mean that your noise is coming from there, or is caused by that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Problem solved.. bad intake/exhaust gasket...

The aluminum intake and cast iron exhaust manifold heated differently.. some of my bolts were loose.. once the car hit operating temp.. the gasket vibrated and whistled or goose coughed LoL

Anyway.. all fixed. The car actually ran better with a vacuum leak believe it or not.. or maybe it just sounded loud.. which gave a false sense.

Thanks guys!!