HybridZ

Non Stroker N/A

NismoZ

What you're looking for here in the US is a N42 block out of a 1975 280Z. Those had the highest nickel content of any L6 block sold here in the states.

my car was built in november of 75, but badged as a 76 and it has an N42/N42 combo.

Is that the one you speak of?

I might shoehorn it into a Nissan Hardbody Pickup =)

What you're looking for here in the US is a N42 block out of a 1975 280Z. Those had the highest nickel content of any L6 block sold here in the states.
and this is how you tell them apart. See the pic attached all other N42's have the 4 bolts holes/casting shape around the oil filter area.

early-N42_thumb.jpg

Remember that I am outside the USA and like so many other countries we did not get the L28 until the 280zx or 280c/Laurel/Cedrics of the same era ie 79. So this is how I have been told to identify the older L28 blocks which I was told by a contact in Japan who said these are the ones with the higher nickel in them and this is how you tell them apart - if this is incorrect please point me in the right direction but these L28 with no 4 bolts holes are rare here in NZ and I believe also rare in Japan (as stated it took me almost 4 years to find one here in NZ)

As long as you get "N42" castings, I wouldn't worry about 'the best nickel content', what you are going for is the thick walls.

Except for the F54 which has marginally less nickel, and therfore more suceptible for wear, any of the "N42" castings will be indestructible with any rings you put in there...except if they are made of Diamonds! Those baby's are HARD!

N42=Last forever with no measurable wear!