HybridZ

What struts are you using, and with what springs?

Looking at the Tokico stuff right now, but open to ideas. I have lowering springs on the car now, but am unsure of the rates (I will try to find out soon), they are about 1.5" lowering springs, on a 73 car.

I don't yet know the struts either, but do not feel like they are fully up to the job as I get a little bounce here and there, very unlike my Koni Doubles on my other car.

Guest Anonymous

Carerra 10 inch 165 front/180 rear, 2 inch sectioned strut tubes, 2+2 front sway bar in a 2300# SBC V8 280 Z Tommahawk, KYB GR2 cartridges (we all cannot afford the Illuminas)

hope you guys know gr-2 are crap. they are used for basic passenger car replacement. Whoever spread the rumor these are even close to performance shocks, spread a lie.

here is what KYB makes, and what they are for. In order from crappy, to good.

GR-2, passenger cars.

Gas-A-Just, slight performance/high HP cars

AGX, straight up balls to the walls performance

I have Gas-A-Just. They are GREAT shocks. Greimann runs them too, or he did. But if you want them for your Z, they only make them for 79-up.

I have heard more bad than good on the AGXs unfortunately, and on KYBs in general, even though some people are happy with plain old KYBs with lowering springs (good god...), I am a bit more snooty and want something that actually absorbs the energy of the spring.

I will try to find out whats on there now, its raining today... simptoms are what feels like bottoming out every now and again, and a definite bit of bounce around town, telling me the struts aren't soaking up the spring fully. I am also unsure if the strut housing is shortened, and wondered if it was just bottoming out on the body or something, which would be no good either. :eek:

Prices look about as such:

Struts/shocks:

Koni's $520.80 (240Z & 260Z ONLY)

Tokico's $249.00

Tokico Illumina's (externally adjustable) $459.00

Sets of 4

Koni yellows (Sports?), adjustable rebound only, are a great value shock, for road or track. Can't get them for the first series Z here but others(?) will fit. May have to get the bump revalved.

There was a big discussion on this topic a while ago.

I have the non-adjustable tokico shocks with the tokico lowering springs. The ride is great, but fairly stiff. Handles better then the pop's porsche. Those damn potholes with 16 inch wheels and a fairly stiff suspension aren't fun. Stay away from those sneaky bastards and the ride wont be bad at all.

Guest Anonymous

I apreciate the genorous offers from the affuent members.. You fellows send me your good struts (postage paid) and I will install them. Thanx ...................I obtained the Gr2's off eBay unused and cheap.Better than what was in there

I am well experienced in avoiding potholes ;)

Not only do they scare the bejeebus out of you, but I feel guilty for putting the car through something like that.

I don't think I've seen Koni Doubles for the 240Z yet? Maybe I am not looking in all the right places... Shox.com doesn't say if the 240Z Konis listed are yellow or reds or what, guess I have to call.

Thanks for the info all! Of course open to more ;)