HybridZ

Couldn't wait...:o)

My impatience has done it again...couldn't wait to start my twin-turbo install until next year like I planned. Started yeserday and am running into some component location issues, strut and valve cover issues and as can be seen in the photo's, I will have to low-mount my alternator on the drivers side. It will be a plumbing nightmare, but I don't see anything yet that some good ol' GA ingenuity and a fire-wrench won't take care of. Banks built the kit for use without an intercooler, however, I'm running higher than normal compression (10:1 vice 8.6:1) so I am running one to help out as well as running a boost-registered timing retard. Methinks there is a beast under there somewhere...:o) More as I get more done.

Wayne

P1020232_thumb.JPG

P1020233_thumb.JPG

P1020234_thumb.JPG

P1020235_thumb.JPG

P1020236_thumb.JPG

P1020237_thumb.JPG

P1020238_thumb.JPG

Pretty sure Cometic doesn't make a gasket for that motor...it's a 454 small block built by Bill Mitchell...not worried about the 10:1 compression...building the entire system to take that into consideration as well as only running max 10-12 lbs of boost. Radiator is Camero...don't remember the year... used the fire wrench to make room between the rails...about 1/2 inch on each side. Hat is O-ringed

You sir are a wild man without a doubt. Good luck working out the bugs. Struts? You don't need no stickin struts. That thing will probably sit on its tail all the way down the track anyway, no need for front suspension!

My impatience has done it again...couldn't wait to start my twin-turbo install until next year like I planned. Started yeserday and am running into some component location issues, strut and valve cover issues and as can be seen in the photo's, I will have to low-mount my alternator on the drivers side. It will be a plumbing nightmare, but I don't see anything yet that some good ol' GA ingenuity and a fire-wrench won't take care of. Banks built the kit for use without an intercooler, however, I'm running higher than normal compression (10:1 vice 8.6:1) so I am running one to help out as well as running a boost-registered timing retard. Methinks there is a beast under there somewhere...:o) More as I get more done.

Wayne

Thanks for the kudo's...hoping to live up to them...Hahns, I am not going to be able to have as clean an install as yours...I really wanted to use the hat that comes with it, but the configuration doesn't let me do what I want...besides, the pressure relief is in the hat and I'm running a MAF sensor in the intake tract, so I need the BOV before the MAF so I don't over-fuel when I let off...only time will tell on the fuel. I'll know once it is back running.

Wayne

Pretty sure Cometic doesn't make a gasket for that motor...it's a 454 small block built by Bill Mitchell...not worried about the 10:1 compression...building the entire system to take that into consideration as well as only running max 10-12 lbs of boost. Radiator is Camero...don't remember the year... used the fire wrench to make room between the rails...about 1/2 inch on each side. Hat is O-ringed

Loooks GREAT Wayne, I finished putting my NOS motor in the car yesterday and hope to fire it up on Thursday if all goes well. Keep the pictures coming. Did yo get that bonnet from GB also ? Jerry

.besides, the pressure relief is in the hat and I'm running a MAF sensor in the intake tract, so I need the BOV before the MAF so I don't over-fuel when I let off...

I don't know how much it might affect your plumbing decisions, but some of the factory turbo cars work around the BOV and MAF metered air issue by redirecting the outlet of the BOV back into the intake system ahead of the turbo, but after the MAF.

Again, I don't know that it would make any difference for your project, but I thought to mention it, as it came up often when Subaru WRX owners kept deleting the connecting tube on the factory systems, chasing the "pshhhh" from an atmospheric venting BOV.

Happy wrenching, and I hope it keeps going together as well as it looks currently!

Steeltoad..I just happened to open your links...AWESOME body work on the Z car...certainly one of a kind!

Hey_Allen...many thanks for weighing in...I understand what you mean and it would make sense...I am far enough along on my other path that I need to keep on going..the hat doesn't look as good, but it solves some other clearance challenges also.

Hey Gearheadstik...you know, of course, that Rip started this mess, right? I'll get even with him if he ever comes up for air...:o) just kidding...it's nice to do something a little off the norm even though Hahns and Rip were there a long time ago and all the Bad-A--turbo'd Datsun/Toyota (in deference to my OLD buddy Scottie) motors out there are kickin' butt already.

Wayne

Thank you, Uncle John....might you be talking about my highly engineered, custom made, high dollar hood prop? Actually, that is the low tech version...wait until you see the high tech version made from a Maple branch...:o) of course it is painted to match......

Wayne

Wayne, You're an animal for sure! As 1TuffZ told me at Daytona, "I like your illness".

I don't know how far ($) you're into your fuel injection, but a modern programmable EFI with a MAP sensor will probably flow better plus help with carb hat plumbing. There are other benefits also.

Here's what I'm talking about - although it's just for a little V6:biggrin:

1600cfm Holley pattern throttle body, two 85-pound injectors per hole, secondaries staged to operate after a certain boost/rpm point.

Eventually this system will be fed by two fuel pumps and two fuel cells, with the secondary injectors spraying C16.

All this is easily controlled by an Electromotive TEC3r.

Stagemantop.JPG

Stagemanfront.JPG

My Lord, Rick!!! you aiming to be the first Z on the moon? That is one bad setup! I'm going to stick with what I've been working on for now (remember my Ford EEC IV?) I have that working well and just got the re-programmed stuff back..MAF is programmed to the injector size and the computer is programmed to meet AFR at all levels based on air flow. I have a couple of other fuel injection systems (Holley 950 and Accel DFI) but the Ford system is much less work and I'm basically a lazy person. :o) What on earth are you using that setup on?

Wayne

That's the top of my Buick Stage II V6. The block is from the McClaren Indy team, Crank, Rods, Heads are from a Busch Grand National motor. My modest goal is to be able to turn the boost up and max out a Dynojet. It goes in the Z (If it ever gets out of the machine shop).

I s'pose if the EEC system is doing the job for you it's all good - I understand the benefits, but losing the MAF is a good thing.

I can't wait to see your setup in action when angry.