HybridZ

NA Turbo Swap

Guest NismoZ32

Guest NismoZ32

I have been looking for weeks to find a list of parts that I need to swap the TT Z32 motor into my NA Z32. I am purchasing my Z32 in about two months from a friend of mine and would like to do the swap before I get it on the road. Any help will be most appreciated. Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Z1 is generally pricy as hell. If you're looking to buy your way through most of it, Z1 is going to charge you an arm and a leg. There is a plethora of advertisers/sponsors/Z shops that are all over twinturbo.net, so I'd source according to your needs. Talk to Milo or Bernie Bilskie (an old friend) on the site. Those two have forgotten more about Z32's than most of us can probably ever hope to learn. There are others on there, but I couldn't forget either of them.

I hope you know there's going to be quite a bit of fabrication, man-hours, money, and frustration going into that swap, but good luck. I'd honestly just suggest you get a TTZ, unless it were a 2by2, due to the cost of the swap versus the cost of the car weighed against it's value afterwards.

Good luck!

-Willens

This page has EVERYTHING you are looking for....

http://twinturbo.net/net/viewmsg.aspx?forum=technical&msg_id=1049892

Also, I am currently doing this swap. For you to be able to successfully swap it all out and do everything "right" I would suggest looking for a totalled TT car that you can use as a donor car. That way you will have everything that you need RIGHT there. If you buy each piece individually, just the turbos alone will put you up around a grand... down pipes, intercoolers, intercooler piping... Id reccomend oil cooler (the stock tt has an oil cooler) recirc or blow off valves, boost controller OR upgraded ecu...

Its more involved then you would think.... ive been planning on my swap for over 2 years and just now am going to start wrenching away on it...

If you have any questions... feel free to ask... Im going to be swapping the TT motor, oil cooler, intercoolers, ecu, and transmission into a 2+2. I dont claim, nor do I know even CLOSE to everything about this topic... but ive done alot of research and I know my fair share... Good luck!

DirtBiker245, You'll need to remove the contents of the TT fuel pump and painstakingly re-house them into the stock 2by2 housing, and it's a pain in the ass. A lot of little "fit n' fab" issues. A good place to look up for help is MWS Motorsport. They have a nice half-hour video showing a lot of the finer points that go with the 2by2 TT conversion, including the fuel pump housing. I had planned that swap into my 2by2 as well, but am selling it to fund my 260Z. When I do get another one, she'll have to get the ol' RB30 ;)

I also second his notion of a donor car. I strongly deplore any other route unless you have a lot of time and money, not that's cheap either way, but considerably cheaper nonetheless.

Guest Phil61484

before you do anything sit down and write up a list of everything that you need for the swap. figure out the cost then add 20%. ive owned my z32 TT for three years now and i can tell you that everything is more expensive than you think. you will probably need new turbos and a timing belt job. not to mention the wiring harnesses on those cars are buring out and are getting hard to find. if you do it you should prolly replace all the fuel and boost lines since they are over 10 yrs old and will prolly crack when you try and move them. odds are you might need a clutch. and if you buy a wrecked car, that person prolly wasnt the best driver and ragged the engine out.

your best bet is save money and take out a small loan to buy a twin turbo that runs and can check out mechanically. that will save you alot of headache, time, and in the end money. to do the Z1 conversion you will spend what a twin turbo will cost.

in my opinion there are only two reasons to do a NA to TT conversion.... 1.)if you want a convertible, or 2.) if you want a slick top

I will say that my z is a dream to drive and i wouldnt trade it.

in my opinion there are only two reasons to do a NA to TT conversion.... 1.)if you want a convertible, or 2.) if you want a slick top

Convertible? Such a hideous thing. Top down from the back It's easily mistaken for a pickup that had drunken sex with a Transformer, and the end result is premature with Fetal Alcohol Syndrome. The Z1 convertible TT is well-executed, no arguing that, but it's still an eyesore.

Slicktop's are fantastic track cars, but the 2by2 is still better. That was proven back in the mid-nineties of IMSA racing.

In having raced both, the most obvious factor is the hole-shot. Top speed stability was very easily noticed as well. The aesthetical value is (obviously) personal, but I like my women like my cars: Sleek, sexy, curvaceous, and having an ass. ;)

---

Again, be ready to wrench/fab a lot of things, and be patient. I recently had a sub-harness fry in my 2by2, and you can expect to pay dearly from Nissan (for anything, really.)

Phil also makes another good point: Clutch. ANYTIME you're doing a swap, you're a madman to not address that issue while the drivetrain is separated. Do a basic tune-up as well: Plugs, test the injectors, replace the timing belt, rear main seal, pilot bearing, compression test the motor, if you think the harness/harnesses are failing, make sure to replace those before installing. Replace all rubber lines/hoses, for starters. This will save you a lot of time/money in the long run, and a lot of headache. Think of it as basic insurance...

As far as the tips, you're welcome. I've been obsessing/articulating the 2by2 TT swap for years, and decided it's still a possibility, should I not RB it first.

Oh, hey, saw in your sig your donor car is a '90. The 1990/1991 TT engines are somewhat notorious for kinks. If you get a chance/want to go all out for big power, you'll need to convert to 1995 TT PTU harnesses/etc. It's not a bad idea period, as the 95's had a bit more power/reliability. Any 92-94 or 95 motor is preferrable, not that the 90-91's won't get the job done!

-Willens

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Z1 is generally pricy as hell. If you're looking to buy your way through most of it, Z1 is going to charge you an arm and a leg. There is a plethora of advertisers/sponsors/Z shops that are all over twinturbo.net, so I'd source according to your needs. Talk to Milo or Bernie Bilskie (an old friend) on the site. Those two have forgotten more about Z32's than most of us can probably ever hope to learn. There are others on there, but I couldn't forget either of them.

I hope you know there's going to be quite a bit of fabrication, man-hours, money, and frustration going into that swap, but good luck. I'd honestly just suggest you get a TTZ, unless it were a 2by2, due to the cost of the swap versus the cost of the car weighed against it's value afterwards.

Good luck!

-Willens

I hope you realize your talking about fabricating a bunch of stuff on a motor that bolts directly in the car without any problems or changes in motor mount position or anything.

I wouldnt even consider that a hybrid Z.