HybridZ

My custom dash is finally installed

deja

It only took me 2 months to complete this thing. What was I thinking? In my head this didn't seem like all that hard to pull off. But I was in new territory for sure and learned a lot about metal fabrication and fiberglass. I'm still very much a rookie at both. Is it perfect, oh hell no, but for a first attempt I am pretty happy the way it turned out.

The plan was to modify my 280Z dash to use a Trans AM gauge cluster as well as a totally new center panel. I basically stripped the dash to the sheet metal, removed everything, tossed the old dash pad, heavily modified the sheet metal and then covered it with fiberglass. I was debating about how to cover this thing when I read Rigez's post on cheap dash repair alternatives. I followed the instructions using plastic prep followed by 3 coats of SEM textured black paint, 3 coats of SEM black trim paint and added 3 clear coats over it all. I opted to use a complete '94 Z28 donor car's chassis wiring harness since the 30 year old Datsun harness was so hacked up by the previous owner. I mounted the Camaro fuse panel in the driver's end of the dash, used Mustang AC vents, my Pioneer stereo, the Z28 headlight switch from my donor car, a +12v accessory plug from a VW, a pushbutton start switch from a Viper, an aftermarket ignition switch and a Greedy fuel pressure gauge. The AC controls will be mounted in a custom console I have not made yet. Here are some shots of the dash installed, I still have to finish trimming out the light switch and ignition switch modules and make a glove box door. The center section and the gauge cluster bezel are painted a metallic black. I didn't realize how filthy the interior of my car is until I looked at these pictures! Too many months sitting in the garage with all this fabrication going on.

dash-complete4.JPG

dash-complete3.JPG

dash-complete5.JPG

dash-complete2.JPG

dash-complete-center.JPG

Thanks, I've never been one to be satisfied with what everyone else has. Sometimes that gets me in trouble, LOL. The hardest part of this was getting all those parts that don't belong in a Z to fit, toughest was the Z28 light switch. One thing I did over look was the two bolts that hold the dah in behind my gauge bump-up are very difficult to get back in. And I totally forgot about the VIN # tag until the dash was already back in. I ended up mounting it on the trim piece for the defrosters. But it looks like it where it should be.

Thumbs up for being original. Attempting to make other cars parts work together can be tricky but you pulled it off.

Thanks, that is the Z from a Z28 fender emblem. That part of the bezel is a lot of flat area and needed something. I thought the Z would add some "cool factor". I painted it the same as the bezel so it doesn't stick out too much.

Looks good! I like the way you laid things out, and the Z above the steering column is a nice touch too. Good work.

That looks great Dale! I didn't notice the Z emblem until TravRMK pointed it out. It is the little subtleties that make the custom stuff so rad. Just the thought of wiring all that stuff together makes my head spin.

Wiring the gauge cluster was easy since I'm using the Z28 harness. Of course changing form a Camaro gauge to a Firebird gauge made me switch out the connector and 34 wires! The rest caused some spinning for sure.

alls i's gotta say is with the rate things are going with my car, it would take me a hells of a lot longer to do that than 2 months. probably an ongoing 6 month project for me. LOL

thanks for sharing, looks great, very original piece mang. I got a 3rd gen camaro buddy imma show this to. hehe

Props to you, thats a rediculously large amount of work. I have done glass work before and its not always fun.

Evan

In my head this was going to take about a week, LOL. Its my first attempt at any fiberglass work, it did get very tedious and I really hated all the sanding. The building part was fun, the finishing was not.

Nicely done, Dale. Now you need to upgrade your steering wheel:biggrin:

Thanks Ryan. The sterring wheel is on the list. I want paddle a shifter and that will force into a different wheel anyway so I'm waiting until then to swap.

alls i's gotta say is with the rate things are going with my car, it would take me a hells of a lot longer to do that than 2 months. probably an ongoing 6 month project for me. LOL

thanks for sharing, looks great, very original piece mang. I got a 3rd gen camaro buddy imma show this to. hehe

I feel your pain. My car came off the road on Jan 27. Since then its been up and down the street only one time about a month ago for a short 5 minute test. With the dash finally in I can see light at the end of the tunnel. Whoever said "double you budget and triple your time" wasn't even close for me, LOL