HybridZ

s130 steering rack

itsaprothing

I plan on making a drift machine out of mine and I was wondering if I needed to modify my steering rack like 240z drifters usually do. I see z31's drift fine and get angle fine and I feel like I get a lot of angle in my car fine but would a steering rack mod be in my favor? Or is it something I don't really need?

I've searched this topic before and a lot of people say that you just feel like you get a lot more angle in the z because you're seated further back in the car.

Feedback?

• 2 weeks later...

Well it really depends on quite a few things.

A) How serious of a hobby is this going to be

B) What kind of steering rack does your S130 have (there's three kinds that I know of off the top of my head)

C) What speed drifting are you looking at doing

The manual rack might be a bit too much work to drift with if you quicken it (decreases leverage). The manual racks might take to it just fine.

Usually it's not that you need MORE angle, but rather the ability to get there sooner, ie making the steering quicker lock to lock. Unless you're getting pretty serious as I hobby I can't see why it would be NEEDED, but you might prefer the feel of it if you're spending enough time drifting.

the manual rack in my ZXR handles it just fine, there is PLENTY of angle to be had in stock form, the recripicating ball setup (80-82) seems to have the same angle and seems to be just as quick reaction. my biggest problem with drifting is I'm still open diff and it likes to unload one side or the other.

should be a powered rack and pinion.

I don't know if the steering ratios are the same as the 79's racks or if the angle will travel the same distance... I would assume it does... in wich case you should be fine... but then I guess it really depends how fast you can saw that wheel as to if you should try to quicken the ratio or not.

• 4 weeks later...

will that rack fit in an s30, id love to swap to somthing different, and i think the s130 did get more steering angle than a s30, the fact that there are three racks makes me wonder, i think recirculating ball rack would be best for angle but feels crappy "my b210 got more angle stock than any car ive ever seen...lol", manual rack feels awesome but gets crappy angle, so the ps rack might be the ticket. i can speek for the s30 croud that the manual 72 steering rack blows for drifting...lol on a local level it does ok but you just cant pull off big deep angle drifts like the s13's and fc's even in stock form they out perform in this feture.

the manual rack in my ZXR handles it just fine, there is PLENTY of angle to be had in stock form, the recripicating ball setup (80-82) seems to have the same angle and seems to be just as quick reaction. my biggest problem with drifting is I'm still open diff and it likes to unload one side or the other.

The problem with stock steering rack i found is the extreme lack of steering angle needed to pull out of big angle drifts.

With increased steering angle it is possible to achieve greater angle , it will also aid in spin recovery. This is often done with spacers on the steering rack, custom steering racks, custom tierod ends, or machining the spindles.

Im sorry zxr kid.. the angle on a z is not good for drifting at all!

next to that you might want to look into 400 500 lbs springs and a Near Zero Front Suspension Droop..

if you want to drift i hope you have a big wallet and the common sense to not do it with an s130 if you lack the first!

if you have the time or money to redesign, tub the front and design a better steering rack the z would be great, i give up on it, its a money pit to try to develope. ive been drifting 12 years, and qualified to the formula d pro am license event in the z and its definetly the trickyest car ive drifted,and the reason i dident whast my time towing it to nevada from ohio is because im a realist, i belive in my own abilitys but the car was definetly not on the level needed to compete with good drivers in better suited cars. but frank was spot on with what i am saying... ive modded my stock rack, cut more teeth into it and made custom end spacers,knuckles,neg camber bump steer/track spacers" and have got my 16+8 -10 ofset wheels with 5mm spacers hitting the frame rails, and rubbing the modified tc rods....lol put a 240sx front end on your and put your z fenders on it is my next step if i would put the time and money into it but im going with a 240sx.

but this is dealing with the s30, you have a s130 so im kinda clueless, it might get better angle... who knows, you can develope till your blue in the face or put the money into a solid drift suited car...either way good luck and keep drifting

derrick

usdrift