HybridZ

Small Update on my S30

MPD47

DSCF2844.jpg

Sitting in the driveway with my bimmer and roommate's 35R STi for a couple days (yes that is snow flying, it is Buffalo afterall ;))

Made two disappointing discoveries...

#1 The car was originally bright orange and was repainted red (UHHG, had it been orange I would've just left it)

#2 I found a few rot holes in the floorboards, was kinda expected, and I'm not upset considering the deal I got, but I was holding out a small sliver of hope that the entire chassis was rot free. (Haha, yeah right!)

Pics!

DSCF2846.jpg

Some of the stuff that came with the car, the blown trans, and the center piece of the lip spoiler that needs to be repaired. Some idiot decided to just chunk away a section rather than shaving the push button for the hatch lid. Uhhg.

DSCF2851.jpg

The original Orange of the car. Wish it was still that!

DSCF2852.jpg

Passenger's floorboard

DSCF2858.jpg

Driver's floorboard

DSCF2860.jpg

Man I love the interior on these... can you say Defi gauges?

DSCF2865.jpg

Found this in the spare tire well with the other transmission parts, yep, she definitely spanked the trans.

DSCF2875.jpg

DSCF2879.jpg

Prepping the engine to come out.

DSCF2882.jpg

Garden hose on the fuel tank...

DSCF2883.jpg

DSCF2886.jpg

Pass floorboard

DSCF2887.jpg

Driver's floorboard

DSCF2899.jpg

Engine out, stripped the engine bay tonight after that pic was taken.

DSCF2909.jpg

So yeah, that's where I'm at right now, ordered the Motorsport Auto Carbon ZG Flares, pulled the wiring harness, still need to get the dash out. The current short term goals are to

Fix Floors and get custom 6pt welded in (the car will probably see light track duty when the track 951 is down)

Rewire car (almost have the harness pulled just need to remove the dash)

Get engine bay completely stripped down

Refurb Suspension/R200 differential

Engine wise I want to go with a VQ35DE but we'll see. The powerplant is the one thing I'm being really finicky about.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a familiar poise. Great start, first steps down a long and bumpy road, there's a big smile at the end. Nice lift.

Not me in the pic, one of my coworkers. Thankfully I keep my car at work and can work on it after hours when all the customer cars are done. Though I do also have a lift at my house ;)

Got to work on it a bit more today, some pics.

DSCF2942.jpg

Bee's nests in the door jamb.

The overall goal today was to get the dash out, start to access the quality (or lack thereof as I'd later find out) of the wiring that was still in the car, and play with gauges. Started by pulling the dash out which unfortunately ended with me and a pair of diagonal cutters going to town due to some idiots in the past installing some sort of aftermarket alarm and stereo equipment. Wires EVERYWHERE, needless to say, I wasnt pleased. Wiring harness seems to be mainly intake though and I'll likely rewire sections of it rather than go for full replacement, meanwhile the gauges and engine management will be on their own harness separate from the rest of the electronics.

DSCF2943.jpg

DSCF2945.jpg

DSCF2947.jpg

Man, I have having parts of the front of the dash bolted/screwed down, makes everything a total pain, this is where the german's know what they are doing with mounting the dashes on pinch welds and having very few pieces of hardware holding them in.

DSCF2948.jpg

All out! What a mess!

DSCF2951.jpg

My blower is bigger than yours... to bad mine doesnt make BOOOOOOST!

Hahahaha.

DSCF2952.jpg

DSCF2954.jpg

I was really pleased with the state of some of the rearward interior pieces and headliner today. Upon further inspection a lot of them are either in pristine original condition.

DSCF2955.jpg

DSCF2956.jpg

The fuse "box" amused Mike and I greatly.

DSCF2960.jpg

Defi BF 60mm (IIRC) dropped in on top of a stock gauge, they fit perfectly, and they just released a tach too. Now just gotta find out about a speedo they aparently had at SEMA.

DSCF2965.jpg

DSCF2967.jpg

And to my pleasant surprise I got home to my Carbon ZG Flares waiting for me. :)

Guest 280ZForce
And to my pleasant surprise I got home to my Carbon ZG Flares waiting for me

I'd be careful about those, I've heard and seen for myself they are extremely thin and pretty much see through in the sun. Most people have returned them to their dislike.

My friend and I are going to try our luck at making some ZG flares here soon in CF and fiberglass, we made some molds off some rare wider version ZG flares that only 1 person has that we know of in the US.

But let me know how you like those CF ones from MSA, take them out in the sun and also flex them a lil bit and see how they hold up.

But the Z is looking good...it's a long haul from here on out, so enjoy the massacre.

why did you opt for the more expensive carbon fiber ZGs over the fiberglass ones?

just wondering, because i'm thinking about getting ZGs as well, but after looking at many pictures of fiberglass ZG's, it seems that the fit might be a little off. that seems to cause the top to sometimes flare out too much, which i think looks bad. also seems that the rear of the flare tapers inward too quickly, which i dont like either. however, of the pictures i've seen of carbonfiber ZGs, they look fine. maybe im being too picky or im seeing things, but thats something ive noticed.

• 1 month later...

Guys, sorry I didnt answer your questions, I'm headed to dinner I'll answer them when I get back!

DSCF3092.jpg

Interior getting slowly but surely down to stripped so I can cut the floorboards out and finish rewiring for defi's and new HVAC controls.

DSCF3095.jpg

Something I've been struggling with for weeks, the car has ANCIENT wheel locks on it, and I have no key. I think I'm going to end up welding nuts onto them and taking them off that way, but I figured I'd post an image and see if anyone knew what it was, or had a better idea.

DSCF3097.jpg

Hilarious "playboy" decals in the 1/4 windows. There is also one for the alarm, one for the alpine head unit and one for the CA911 foundation from like 1982.

DSCF3098.jpg

Much better! Have to remove the stock hvac and then I'll be ready to start cutting the floors out.

DSCF3100.jpg

Engine bay almost completely stripped. Almost ready to get sandblasted (any local recommendations?)

DSCF3102.jpg

Overview, also test mounted the carbon flares, they look awesome, hoping to get those on the car sometime in the next week as the welting kits from Austin (240hoke) came in.

958cd58cf472c8c7c81c06e046be28365g.jpg

Bought a '95 KA24DE motorset, 100k miles, uncut harness, trans, etc, etc. Picking that up Sunday and using parts from Bings.ca for KA-T.

That's all for now :)

Yasin, me too, I'd rather have my wheels stolen than use wheel locks (that's what insurance is for right? ;))

As for why did I opt for the carbon flares. To be honest, I hate the look of bare carbon on 99% of all cars. HOWEVER I decided to keep them bare for the time being as I oddly think they actually look very good. As to the people complaining about how thin they are, and flexible... They are a carbon fiber add on piece, I dont want it to weigh a couple pounds each. They are flexible but when bolted down are quite sturdy and have a pretty good finish. I'm really pleased with them and dont see any issues after a mockup getting them mounted.

I'm really happy with my carbon ZG's after today. Yes, they are a bit flimsy when not mounted up to the car, but once you have them mounted they are fairly ridged and strong. Really pleased with them in combination with the Hoke Performance welting and hardware kit.

Small update for today, took some time mounting the passanger's front carbon ZG flare. Now that I've done it once I know I can do the other side a lot quicker, but that's fairly standard with this sort of thing. ;) Also ground off a bunch more brackets in the engine bay, almost have it all smoothed out to the point where the concentration will be paint removal and repainting.

DSCF3108.jpg

Drilled and marked, I had previously drilled out the ZG flare and then held the flare up while Andy (300zx) and Joe (91MR2) marked the holes for me. Thanks guys!

DSCF3109.jpg

I always feel REALLY strange when cutting bodywork on the car... mostly it's a "What the $@#* did you just do idiot?!?!?!" feeling, but hey it always works out. In case you missed it, I recently did this to my 951 also:

DSCF3080.jpg

I freaked out then too. :lol:

DSCF3111.jpg

MSA Carbon ZG Flare, Hoke Performance ZG Flare rubber welting and hardware kit (nutserts and other assorted stainless hardware)

DSCF3113.jpg

DSCF3118.jpg

That's all for today :)

You might want to try using a cheap socket just slightly smaller than the lock lug. Then you hammer the socket onto the lug and remove with ratchet or breaker bar. Sometimes you can hammer the lug out and reuse the socket.

I have used this trick in the past and it has worked great for me, although I won't guarantee it working for you.

Good luck.

You might want to try using a cheap socket just slightly smaller than the lock lug. Then you hammer the socket onto the lug and remove with ratchet or breaker bar. Sometimes you can hammer the lug out and reuse the socket.

I have used this trick in the past and it has worked great for me, although I won't guarantee it working for you.

Good luck.

Thats what I was going to suggest, Ive done it dozens of times. Lookin good so far :burnout: