HybridZ

Boost activated exhaust cutout

510six

A friend had the idea of using an internal wastegate boost pod to open an exhaust cutout on the "high" boost mode setting of the AEM EMS. This is very similar to the second wastegate that was being used on my car when the nitrous was engaged to prevent boost creep , a Ford smog solenoid allowed boost pressure into the second wastegate when the nitrous switch was activated.

http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/show_image.pl?bg=FFFFFF&image=http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/7/web/2071000-2071999/2071134_5_full.jpg

The same Ford smog solenoid is used only this time it opens "boost" to a stainless exhaust cutout.When "high" boost mode (now 17psi soon to be 22 psi)is on the wastegate pod opens at 7psi.

exhaustcoya8.jpg

Currently the exhaust cutout is opened via a heavy duty choke cable and it works well enough, it would be a bit slicker to have it be automatic

great idea!

ATPturbo already released this a few years back though =(

http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=ATP-ACS-010&Category_Code=BCS

ATP-ACS-010_450.jpg

The VES system is a system that works “on demand” at the onset of boost on turbo and supercharged vehicles to free up all the backpressure (just as a large exhaust system would) in the exhaust stream so the engine can make maximum power. The VES system works as an active dump tube that completely bypasses the restrictive exhaust system when boost is present. As soon as the turbo spools, the valve begins to open. By the time the turbo makes full boost, the valve is fully open.

Highlights of the way VES works:

* Completely quiet and stock-like sounding during startup, idle, and cruising.

* 0 delay in valve response to boost, yet very smooth transition into boost mode.

* Automatic open/close under boost using existing boost source on turbo engine and does not rely on wing nuts or electrical motors.

* Integrate a boost controller to control when the valve opens or completely turn it off.

* Addresses virtually all complaints associated with large 3” cat-back exhaust systems.

Highlights of how our VES components are built:

* Solid billet steel construction holds up to high (turbo) temps and won’t fatigue and fail in continuous heat.

* Precision CNC machined to tighter tolerances for a gasket-less seal.

* Built using existing, reliable wastegating technology.

* Standard valve built to accept most common actuator bolt patterns for wide range of spring pressures.

• 10 months later...

I intend to use a vacuum actuated exhaust cutout in this fashion too. Good info, old thread, lol.

I'll post here if I find a source for a vacuum actuated cutout. I've heard they are available, but considerably more expensive than an electric. Supposedly they are coveted for their quick response time as compared to the electrics.

I'm just wondering what complaints are associated with 3" exhaust systems? Why only 3"?

I'm guessing clearance issues. Some 3 inch exhaust start banging on suspension pieces, frames, scrape on the ground over speed bumps, etc. The also are louder, usually by design, for day to day driving. Running a dump like this lets you keep bone stock exhaust and only have the open dump during WOT "test runs". Looks liek a pretty neat setup, especially with a solenoid to make it on and off. You would not always want open exhaust just because you were under boost.

Your not lowered much either....

I have a 3" on my car, no issues at all, clearance is great, doesn't hit on anything, although I think it may tap the rear valance when I shut the engine off, but not sure.

It's also not too loud, the turbo makes a great muffler. ;)

Your not lowered much either....

Jerry, next time you're near my car, take a look underneath, You'll be pleastanly surprised how tucked my 3" exhaust is, it's higher than the "frame rails", except for about the first foot or so of where the down pipe enters the tranny tunnel, where it may be about 3/4" below. ;)