HybridZ

why not use OBD2 wire harness!?

I'm reading time and time again that people who are swapping LSX's into Z's that they are not using the factory wiring harness. People are using "painless" harness', speartech harness', etc etc instead.

why is this?

I'm from the Gm world (owned a turbo seriesII Grand Prix) and the PCM is highly tunable through HP tuners and other tuning programs for the factory style PCM/harness.

Is there something that I'm missing for a reason why people are ditching the stock wire harness?

I would think the stock harness on the motor with the PCM would be the 'easiest' way to go then just tune the PCM for any mods if necessary (cam, TB, headers, injectors, gears etc).

can someone enlighten me as i'm a little confused and I'm now looking at the LS1 swap as I have a line on a LS1/T56 combo for a reasonable price.

ok it looks like i was completely confused as to what a "painless" harness was... its basically an aftermarket wire system to integrate the pcm to a new car... correct?

i called the guy that has the LS1/T56 and he's asking $4300 for the motor/tranny and a painless wire harness (didn't know that before)

sounds like a deal?

The Painlees harness is nice but at that price its hardly painless.

I went further than that on my LT1 swap. I used the complete Z28 wiring harness, engine and chassis. My 280Z wiring harness was so messed up by the previous owner I didn't trust it anymore. It was a lot of work removing what I didn't need or want from the Z28 chassis harness but I kept everything under the hood in tact. The Z28 had every option known to man so I took more out of the chassis harness than I kept!

I had mentioned before on here. The stock ls1 EFI harness is already a stand alone harness. It requires only 4 or 5 power wires hook up to get the car running. I have done 3 ls1 swaps. 2 of them using the stock camaro harness and the other using the C5 harness. The stock Camaro harness is very easy to hook up. You just need to hook up relays to the fuel pump, starter, fans and the power to feed the injectors and coils. If you use the C5 harness it will be even easier compare to the camaro harness if you use the underhood fuse panel. Anyway I have info for both swaps on my web page.

ok it looks like i was completely confused as to what a "painless" harness was... its basically an aftermarket wire system to integrate the pcm to a new car... correct?

i called the guy that has the LS1/T56 and he's asking $4300 for the motor/tranny and a painless wire harness (didn't know that before)

sounds like a deal?

Miles? Wear and tear? Can you test it before you buy it?

I would just go to LKQ corp and buy a low mile LQ4 and then pickup a built t-56 for a thousand less personally.... Damn the 100 pounds you're going to gain.

Miles? Wear and tear? Can you test it before you buy it?

I would just go to LKQ corp and buy a low mile LQ4 and then pickup a built t-56 for a thousand less personally.... Damn the 100 pounds you're going to gain.

the guy sold the combo on me so i'm out of luck.

LKQ corp.. never heard of them, do you have a website by chance? I see you are in CA, and I'm in CA (Canada). The last shipping quote for a ls1/t56 was $1000 to me not including brokerage/duty. :shock::icon55:

anyway any help will be greatly appreciated