HybridZ

M3/ M coupe diff

LLave

Is anyone familiar with the M's diff? It seems I can get one with a LSD for fairly cheap. But I don't have a clue as to how much hp they will take or what type of LSD is in them. Anyone? I thought it might make a great alternative to the r200/230.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-M-ROADSTER-3-23-LSD-Differential-Z3-E30-M-Coupe_W0QQitemZ320192123691QQihZ011QQcategoryZ33731QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I know nothing about these diff's. $350 may be a low price because of the broken bung on the rear cover (not needed for this application). If it can handle the torque this would a great swap for a motor that's not a high rever but has lots of low end torque (like my tpi). I'd love 3.23 rear gears AND an lsd.

I may watch this one myself. :twisted:

• 2 weeks later...

i own a 96' 328is and i had a m3 diff. I can tell you that the 3.23 gears are the most sought after, but i have no idea about the viscous or clutch type. I can find out tomorrow for you though. What i hate to tell you is if it is from 94 - 99 (E36 body styles) then those are the diff's that everyone has problems with including myself. I am on my 3rd one. They gearing itself can hold up to some pretty good power numbers but the design of the pumpkin and housing is what everyone complains about.

On a good note i know a guy with a 96 m3 that is putting down close to 500hp that is still using the stock diff, but with some reinforcement to keep it from moving up and down too much under load.