HybridZ

New -6 fuel and 3/16" brake hardlines in stock tunnel clips

bjhines

I bent some fuel and brake lines running down the original tunnel locations.

I got my hands on a nice brake double-flare kit and an AN- flaring tool. 45 degrees for the brake flares and 37 degrees for the AN- lines.

I went searching locally for brake lines and flare nuts for 3/16" line, metric and SAE threads. Autozone has the best selection in town for all brake lines and fittings. Autozone also has the nicest brake tubing with a slick rustproof coating. All the AN-6 fittings and the 3/8" aluminum tubing came mail order.

I am using the original brake pressure warning switch for safety and as a junction box to the master cylinders. The rest of the system is to built to fit SAE threads to AN-3 brake lines.

The fuel lines are all -6 AN. There will be flexible lines from the fuel cell to the bulkhead connectors, hardline running under the car, and flexible lines to the regulator.

regulatorandfuellines.jpg

tunnellines.jpg

fuelbulkheadfittings.jpg

fuelcellstrapfittingtop.jpg

I'll get some more pics up soon.

I have some pics of the fuel cell to stock filler modifications.

I am using the stock fuel filler that is cut-off and spun around 180 degrees. I am also taking advatage of the fill vent tube-bung on the stock filler.

The fuel cell uses a 2.5" fill and 1.25" fill-vent, it also has a -6 vent line. I am eliminating the -6 vent and relying on the vent relief valve in the stock cap. The stock filler ID is 2.5". The fuel cell filler hose is 2.5" ID. I will use a 2.5" OD coupler between the fuel cell filler hose and the stock filler tube. The vent hose will also require a 1.25" OD coupler.

fuelfillerinside.jpg

fuelfilleroutside.jpg

Thanks for the praise. That was a hard job.... well, i took me nearly 2 weeks spending a few hours here and there. 25' of hardline is plenty to get the job done.

I shopped at Autozone for the brake lines and hardware. I really must give Autozone praise here... They have the most sophisticated stock of brake hardware ANYWHERE in town. I even visited the Napa and Carquest regional warehouses. Napa and the rest seem to think no one fixes anything but American cars. Autozone stocks brake parts for EVERY car.

I used the stock clamp rubbers. I clamped them in a vise and carefully drilled them to 3/8". I used the stock 3/16" individual clips from 2x 240Zs for the brake lines.

I don’t want to hijack this thread but while we are on the subject of fuel lines. I’m currently also installing new lines on my Z. However because the car is pretty well complete I don’t want to have to disassemble my rear end in order to install my new lines. So I was thinking that I would make then line in a few sections this way it would be easier to install. Do I have other options? Would this work and be safe? I doubt I would need more then 2 or three sections to complete the whole line.

Will the fuel/brake lines have a 'scatter cover' where they pass through the plane of rotation of the flywheel?

I don't know if that's required by class or not. Ususally a 1/4" plate suffices, and you can make it look decent without too much effort.

Kudos for getting it in the car and looking great. Inspires me to get out there and do my 73 at long last...

You can use couplers, but you need to support one end lcose to the coupler.

Multiple couplers can work against each other and loosen.

Try to make your lines continuous if possible. Where you do use couplers you need to have access to them to check for leaks.