HybridZ

Carbureted turbo

MazterDizazter

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

800 HP, on Carburettors... Think about that for a moment.

We now have EFI! That seems to be a hybrid system, but 800HP from practical application.

This is 1980's technology, boys and girls.

As for times, don't know the times. I know in the 80's full bodied ZX's were running 11's with a four barrel draw through system. It was not a big thing in the USA to drag race imports in a pro-arena due to class restrictions. In Japan it was commonplace.

If someone did it, they were a 'hidden fish' in the NHRA competition arena. Without a big platform place to showcase technology, it was just a 'non-consideration' in the USA.

Comprende, Mate Amigo?

A pair of complete 45 M's sell for GBP775, or about $1240, before ludicrous overseas shipping.

Hi, where did you get those prices from? I haven't seen a pair of these for sale in a long time, is that for a second hand set?

E-Bay George, the seller 'alpha1750' out of Italy has them by the pair. He always has webers and Dells for sale. If you search E-Bay he should come up---they may not be on offer currently, but he usually has some listed in his 'store' section. More than second hand, he offers them with quite an array of rework done to them including normal DHLA's that are prepped for turbo service.

I don't think these are the DHLA-M's because he had those too before, but here is a set of two DHLA's with the popular modifications:

http://cgi.ebay.com/DELLORTO-40-DHLA-BLOW-THRU-TURBO-CARBURETORS_W0QQitemZ290357781662QQcmdZViewItemQQptZRicambi_e_Accessori_Moto?hash=item439aac249e

For a second, I jumped at the price because I thought it was US$... I was going to buy 4! LOL

Then it hit me... or should I say it POUND-ed me... D'OH!

Tony, I hardly see the 45M for sale, the 40s yeah but the 45Ms seem a lot rarer.

I have a brand new pair of 45Ms sitting on my shelf, never seen petrol, which I will be listing on ebay soon as I'm not sure anyone on here would be interested. Especially as I only have two.

G.

Tony, I'll give you a heads up once I'm ready to sell.

One thing I can say about all of the carburettor turbo discussion, this book is a must have: "Turbomania by Bob Tomlinson"

I bought it on a recommendation from TonyD - it's a wealth of information on everything you ever wanted to know about forced induction using carbs. I couldnt put it down for two weeks.

Amazing when you go 'cross platform' and start mind-expanding, eh?

That was sold with every blow-through setup sold by Claudes' Buggies back in the early 90's.

When you read through it, you realize they asked a lot of questions about paradigms laid down in the previous decade, and then dispelled them conclusively one-by-one with facts and diagrams.

There was an undergraduate engineering text 'Turbocharging the Internal Combustion Engine' that I bought from OPMAP Technical Books back in 1984 which was REALLLY informative.

But like lending tools or your Katana, once it's out of your hands to what you think is a 'trusted' individual, you get skrogged in a most unplesant way. I can't remember the author, nor the isbn (damn my memory!) but that thing was well over 1000 pages and I think it was responsible in large part for me getting the handle 'turbotony' back then!

I didn't pick up "Turbomania" till I moved to SoCal in 89... but it was a confirmation of what I'd been seeing in VW development for close to 15 years at that point.

Now remember, nobody turbo'd a car till Vin Diesel came on the scene in FnF1 a couple of years ago....

OMFG...

That book was $184 when I bought it in 1984.

I would love to have a copy, but not $799 worth of love!

I have now moved the bastard who 'borrowed it' from simple a-hole to 'shoot in ankles on next sighting, move to knees, then hands, then elbows'...

Yeah, that's the animal.