HybridZ

JDM headlight covers

ArnZ

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back in the 80's when I was in Japan a set of headlight covers was 30,000 yen (G-Nose) and the standard nosed S30 covers were 23,000 yen.

At that time, the yen exchange rate was 268 to a dollar, so doing quick math you can see that retail pricing in Japan was $111.94 for the G-Nose Covers (PER PAIR) and $85.82 for the standard S30 Covers. Which would jibe nicely with SRGuns commented price, given that in the 70's the yen was over 300 to the dollar. That makes for the US MBA Standard 100% markup. I have no idea who was paying $500 for them 'back in the day' but unless there was a PILE of other parts involved they were getitng ripped off. Datsun Competition Parts Catalog in 1976 didn't list them for anywhere NEAR that price! I could buy a complete G-Nose for under $1500 when they were selling here in the States for close to $3200. When the yen rate dropped precipitously around 1986 or '87 from 268 to 130, and eventually 105, the dollar price for them doubled, but the yen price remained constant. This is why I was involved in aluminum recycling back then, kept my dollars free for dollar wants, and my yen for things JDM remained unquashable with a steady stream of old stern looking men on 1000 yen notes coming to me from scrap ecycling every saturday afternoon!

Now, unless you have connections in Japan, you are SOL getting them through a Nissan Dealer. As someone with 3 Fairlady Z's having a couple of sets for proper period correct accessories would be nice.

I haven't scammed a trip to Japan via work yet, but if I ever do my Visa Card will take SUCH a beating!!! LOL

Tony D, when you are heading over....let me know....lol

I can sell parts on the East Coast....credit cards are ready for the trip! lol

Good info about the correct prices of the parts in question. I always tend to wonder....what is the mark up over the years of JDM parts. I saw Fairlady tail lights 240z, on Yahoo yesterday for $600 each! Just amazing to see people paying those kind of prices and I see often people referring to " back in the days" JDM were always expensive. I didn't think so.

Clive