HybridZ

A few questions about VG30 in S30

Dane

Everything I have ready on this site indicates that puting a VG30 engine into an S30 body is a very difficult swap. But from what I have read...a lot of the issues seem to be associated with the VG30ET (as opposed to VG30 N/A), such as different mount locations and the turbo interfering with the steering column.

Now I have also read that puting a VG30 into a 510 is a pretty common swap...I think there is even a kit for it. And since the L16 in the 510 is basically just an L24 with two less cylinders, the width of the mount spacing should be similar as well (since the engines have the same width).

So does anybody think that if you kept it N/A to avoid the difficulties associated with the turbo, you might be able to swap a VG30 into an S30 using a set-up similar to a VG30 in a 510 (or maybe adapt a VG30 to 510 kit if they do exist like I seem to think)?

There are a few possibilities to swap the SOHC VG30 into the S30 body. ZR8ED has done a turbo swap in his 280Z:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=107688&highlight=VG30ET+swap

Making the story short, he modified the steering column to clear the factory motor mounts.

There's also another guy going by the nickname BLOZ UP (IIRC he's also a member here), here are his threads from z31performance.com:

http://www.z31performance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=829

http://www.z31performance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4452

He took a different route, and modified the left engine mount so that it could clear the factory steering rack.

Remember that in a turbo car you'll have to deal with an exhaust crossover pipe that goes behind the block to feed the turbo on the left hand side of the engine. You could get around this by either swapping an NA motor or by fabricating custom exhaust manifolds that would locate the turbo on the right hand side of the engine or up front.

Any way you look at it, it's a fully custom swap that not many have done before. I have been looking to do this, but now I'm building my hot street L28, so this is my plan for the future (I'm still debating between the VG30 and 2JZ NA).

Hope this helps.

The VG30 would be a much easier swap than the VG30ET. You still need to make custom engine and tranny mounts, but the frame/turbo/steering clearance are not an issue. Other than availability of a newer nissan driveline, there is still a lot of custom stuff to do for a mild performance improvement. The VG30 can be built up, but if you are looking for serious power/torque, then the only decent options are 1 turbo, or 2 even more cubic inches of displacement.

The VG is a very smooth engine, and there are lots of them out there. Small and light weight, and would make a cool street engine that makes decent power, and is also more modern than the L28.

Go for it!

Scott.

• 4 weeks later...

An n/a vg30 should be a pretty simple swap.I personaaly shoehorned a vg30dett into my car and there is actually plenty of room even with two turbos.Of course there are problems but that is the same with anything original.I only abandoned the swap for expense reasons nothing to do with the work itself.

Here is my documentation on the project.http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=117977

So is the general consensus that a N/A VG30de swap simple but a VG30de turbo and twin turbo require more work?

I think I may want to use this motor for a 240Z if it is an easy sway in N/A form or even in an S/C form. The only thing I didn't really like is the redline. I have Nissan Pathfinder with the VG30de and the I find the redline to be a little to low. Does the 300zx have a higher redline?

I've personally seen a NA VG30 swap in a S30. Very clean, makes tons TONS of sense actually. Light mod for light mod they're comparable or better than the L series and they're a very small engine package.

There's also a supercharged version in the xterra, if you could lay your hands on one of those and then megasquirt it you could easily have lots of power and none of the steering clearance issues.

As far as the redline most dynos I've seen peak power is around 5.5k, and they stop the dyno at 6k. I don't have enough experience to say if it the motor would rev higher with modification.

If you leave the turbo on the stock manifolds, you will have problems.

I'm not running a stock turbo, and I'm not using the stock manifolds, and now there's plenty of room.

Also, it all fits behind the front "axle" :)

normal_P7110002.JPG

More at my website: blozup.com

VGxxD engines and VGxx engines don't have much in common as far as the heads go. Completely different valvetrain setup.

Guest AZ-ZBum

Any swap that isn't for a motor that was originally designed for the car is going to require work. There are kits for swapping V8s into s30s, but nothing for the VG. However, there is plenty of room for it. Difficulty level will depend on your skills. If you can't weld, or know someone who can do it for you (cheap), it would be a bad idea from a financial standpoint.

z31_engine_large.jpg

Guest AZ-ZBum
If you can't weld, or know someone who can do it for you (cheap), it would be a bad idea from a financial standpoint.
How much clearer do I have to make it?