HybridZ

Does anyone have critizism for Remington?

MatMan

Thanks for your input.

I have another question. One of the dealers I went to told me that he was seeing that 3 1/2" chambered guns are now being sent to him for repair because of all the beating the extra charge/load of the 3 1/2" shell. Have you had any experience with this?

the BEST shotgun I own is this one

http://www.benelliusa.com/firearms/sbe2.tpl

my s 90 gets used more

http://world.guns.ru/shotgun/sh02-e.htm

both work FLAWLESSLY

IF you WANT to shoot 3.5" shells get something DESIGNED to maximize the 10 ga 3.5" shell, the 12 GA 3.5" shell is just not as effective, its a patch fix to a problem that doesn,t exist, the 10 ga is designed to throw 2 oz or more of shot the 12 ga was not

THE

ITHACA MAG 10

its bigger heavier and handles the recoil better, Ive got one and while its only used for deer hunts with slugs currently its a HAMMER with 2 oz slugs or 21 OO buck

I looked at a 10 for about 15 seconds. The thought of what that thing would do to a teally is just sickening. Like disentegrating a hummingbird with a .50 cal!

Cool. If I order by tomorrow I can pick up the gun the Saturday before X Mas. I won't have to borrow my bro-in-laws gun AGAIN ever! (I hate borrowing stuff)

I'd agree with everything Grumpy said. Make sure if you're shooting a 3.5inch you buy a 10 gage. We've seen the 12s come appart during operation. They're simply not designed for the heavy impact the 3.5s put on the champer.

My rule of thumb is this:

Home defence - 410 or 20 gage for total control in closed quarters.

Casual hunting of light to medium game - 20/16/12 gage.

Medium to large game - 10 gage or rifle.

This is a good general rule of thumb. However, I've always personally used a Mossberg 500 with an M16 stock and pistol grip slide pump for my homie... It's never let me down and looks mean as hell.

Mike

I actually bought a 11-87 last year. Great gun but honestly you will never need the 3 1/2 IMHO. I hate shooting my friends 3.5 mossberg. When we duck hunt he never uses 3.5 always 3.

Definatley get the 3 inch and not the 1100 model that only accepts 2 3/4. I remember reading that the 3.5inch model sometimes jams with light loads also. There is that new style barrel seal activator in it.

Only things I don't like is the oring gets chewed up in the gas chamber. And I hate where Remington puts the safety's on their guns. I swap barrels a lot since I have to use slugs in this part of VA. I found a guy that sells the seals on ebay real cheap though.

If you want cheap and reliable the 870 is it. Hell it's proven through time. Wally world has the best price on it I think. I know I don't take my 1187 in the duck blinds. I always drop my duck gun at least twice and it seems to stay wet and muddy throughout the hunt.

I have a Browing Citori 525 for my yearly pheasant trips, 1187 for deer and dove, and a beat to hell 870 with synthetic stock for duck.

Back in the day, early 80's as a Kid I shot a Remington 410 1100 that could hold 3.5" shells. It Jammed ALOT.

Now granted, my dad was a miser and reloaded everything himself, so it could have been the shells. New shells seemed okay from memory.

Were going skeet shooting Thursday night. It's cool because my 13 year old uses my old 410!

I have an 1100 in 20 gauge - never had a problem. I used to shot trap with it, so it got a fair amount of use. I think its pretty easy to dismantle and clean as well. For the money, I think its a great value.

Couple of notes:

The 1100 does not have a slide release button on the side of the receiver (like a Browning). When the "load gate" is depressed to insert a shell (from under the gun) it closes the slide.

It does not have a magazine block/stop (like a Browning). This didn't matter to me, since I didn't use it for hunting, but it could be useful in the field.

I don't know if its the same for the 11-87, but the 1100 has a rubber o-ring around the magazine tube - I don't remember the specific purpose, but I think its part of the gas system. I was always concerned it would fail, so I kept a spare in my bag. Again, I never had a problem with it - just make sure you use a Remington o-ring, not one from a hardware store - allegedly it has a different composition and a hardware store ring won't last.

Happy hunting

I tried to respond to this thread multiple times yesterday to no avail.

After giving it some thought, especially re: the impact/pressure problems of the 3 1/2" shells (about which after 2 months of research/speaking with owners of local gun shops, I learned of only 2 days ago), I have decided to make the purchase.

So....Thanks for the response, guys. I have placed the order for the 3" 11-87. I get to pick it up next Saturday! Merry Christmas to me!:icon44: